• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cat proof moth trap (1 Viewer)

loopylee

Does anyone know of a cat proof moth trap.

I have recently moved house and first time I put my trap out in the garden I caught 4 cats in the first hour.

I had to turn the trap off in the end as the cats were chasing every moth that came near and the trap was getting wrecked.

Can't help with a cat-proof trap, I'm afraid, but perhaps raising the trap off the ground might help - as long as the cat can be deterred from jumping up (e.g. surround it with chicken wire - or a moat!).
I once had the same problem. I'd been flown out to Menorca for 2 nights trapping but the first night was a total wash-out as local cats had completely demolished the trap (a Heath actinic). Luckily they didn't manage to break the tube.
Martin

Yes, chicken wire (or rabbit fencing) - perhaps make a big circle a couple of metres across at least and if you use the 1m high stuff should stop them? Use bamboo canes threaded through and into the lawn to hold it in place - temporary/portable and you can step over/release the join to get in. Moths can fly through/over.

Not used them ever but there are sonic cat annoying devices - don't know effectiveness, price or if could have any effect on some moths (frequencies?)

sonic cat defences is not an option as the flat on the ground floor have 2 cats and my garden is 10 feet from there window.
Chicken wire may be possible but I don't have a lawn so would have to think up something other than canes to support it.
Ive come up with the idea of modifying an upside down fishing umbrella with the trap inside. not sure how im going to do it yet though.

Ah, so not really that suitable then ...

Google cat deterrents and there are various chemicals and lion- urine products, orange peel etc also works apparently. I had a memory that black cotton or fishing line stretched across somewhere you don't want them to poo works as the invisible line startles them, but maybe that was House Sparrows and seedlings.

If you manage to get your umbrella idea to work (possibly with some deterrants to keep curious cats away) post a pic up ...

Try a chicken wire covered " hat " (wire on a wooden frame ) 2-3 times larger than the trap and use it like tea cosey. The trap will be safe and any moths close to the trap and the cats kept out.

If it's placed against a wall, you might be able to use an old fireguard (if such things exist these days!).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back