• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch Southampton (1 Viewer)

How are they allowed to do this release, isn't the deliberate release of any non native wildlife already illegal?

Andy

Hi Andy
They get round it because Monarch is on the British list, even though it's a non-native.
Swallowtail, Red Admiral and Small Tortoiseshell are also among the species that are released. If I remember correctly, the origin of the stock is not mentioned.
Martin

So much harder with butterflies and moths than birds. Birds often show signs of captivity through behaviour, feather damage and rings! Butterflies and moths are reared, then sold either just before or just after emergence. Even if they were kept for a while, they take a battering in the wild so you could never know whether it was natural wear or not.

I guess the decision falls with the county recorder in the end?

Whilst most, if not all, folks assume that records of Monarchs in summer refer to releases i still think that there is a chance of genuine records being thrown out like the proverbial baby with the bathwater...

Yes...for sure there is a high probability that any Monarch will refer to a release but none can 'actually' be traced back to a particular wedding ceremony [or funeral] with absolute positivity...[unless the sighting is very close to the release event]....B :)

In fact, what surprises me most is that what with hundreds or even thousands being released why aren't there far far more sightings...?

The fact that there are so few records suggests that they all must all die pretty rapidly in order for there to be so few records...:smoke:

I for one would not necessarily assume that the recent reports all refer to releases...especially with the weather patterns as they have been and Monarchs being renown for being such strong flyers over long distances...:cat:

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

Hi Username
That's the problem. With the possibility of releases it makes monitoring 'real' arrivals almost impossible. It just muddies the waters for one person to make a profit.
Actually, it has been possible to track sighting back to releases, several times (e.g. One in Rutland 11th July 2013 - traced back to a wedding in Leicester a few days earier
https://rutlandbutterflies.wordpress...rch-at-ketton/ just on the previous page).
In fact the releases are usually of very few specimens and they've been kept in a fridge prior to shipping out so they tend to be rather sluggish. At least one of the companies claims the exact opposite - the specimens selected don't fly far (i.e. they are from non-migratory stock).
Your final comment is probably right, but it would be so much easier to know for certain if there were no releases.
Best wishes
Martin

Hi Username
That's the problem. With the possibility of releases it makes monitoring 'real' arrivals almost impossible. It just muddies the waters for one person to make a profit.
Actually, it has been possible to track sighting back to releases, several times (e.g. One in Rutland 11th July 2013 - traced back to a wedding in Leicester a few days earier
https://rutlandbutterflies.wordpress...rch-at-ketton/ just on the previous page).
In fact the releases are usually of very few specimens and they've been kept in a fridge prior to shipping out so they tend to be rather sluggish. At least one of the companies claims the exact opposite - the specimens selected don't fly far (i.e. they are from non-migratory stock).
Your final comment is probably right, but it would be so much easier to know for certain if there were no releases.
Best wishes
Martin

As far as i'm aware Martin it was 'assumed' that the Ketton individual was from a recent wedding release in Leicester but not actually proven...[unless someone knows otherwise]...? Yes, i will admit that it would seem to be the most likely origin...but then i also heard also that "hundreds" were released and not just a few specimens on that occasion...[and i living round the corner from the release site saw none whatsoever]....:cat:

Impossible to be sure of the origin with any individual and, as with some bird species, its just our best guess....:cat:

Certainly the recent Monarch apparently "in off the sea" at Brighton would be worthy of more consideration given the weather patterns as stated previously....

Whatever these creatures true origins...they are fantastic to see...:t:

All the best...!

It's been confirmed now that there are at least 2 or 3 individuals in Brighton at the moment. Looks rather more suspect.

Have attached a few photos of Monarch from Brighton Pavilion Gardens, and also a couple of the many very confiding White-letter Hairstreaks there. Plenty more on my flickr in my signature if anyone is interested

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9537.JPG
    IMG_9537.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 86
It's been confirmed now that there are at least 2 or 3 individuals in Brighton at the moment. Looks rather more suspect.

Have attached a few photos of Monarch from Brighton Pavilion Gardens, and also a couple of the many very confiding White-letter Hairstreaks there. Plenty more on my flickr in my signature if anyone is interested

Has there been a release nearby then Jan-Paul....?

Or, when using the word "suspect"....did you mean that you suspect they're genuine...? ;)

Has there been a release nearby then Jan-Paul....?

Or, when using the word "suspect"....did you mean that you suspect they're genuine...? ;)

I've no idea if there's been any local releases or not! A few locals have been making inquiries and certainly no one is owning up to any.

I meant suspect as in dodgy, but I also suspect I'm going to count it anyway unless anyone admits to releasing any ;)

Well if you're ticking these things then I'm having the Black Swans on Ivy Lake - about as natural a vagrant as those butterflies methinks! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back