• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Giant Swallowtail, Ottawa, Canada (1 Viewer)

jasperpatch

Amy, Brit in Quebec.
Spotted a Giant Swallowtail at Shirley's bay today, between the car park and the dyke footpath. Not seen one before, stunning! Anyone know if they are unusual for the area? I've seen tiger, eastern and black before. But never giant.
Can add photos later. Thanks.

It isn't rare, but it is probably locally restricted to areas with the correct host plant (mostly spp. in Citrus family).

Thank you Silverwolf. I managed to contact a local butterfly enthusiast, and you are quite right. The area has Prickly Ash, which is their host plant. Apparently they are a fairly recent arrival in Ottawa, but with increasing numbers now.
A real treat for me anyway, rarity or not. This is the best of my photos - they are striking on both sides, so difficult to capture the beauty in still life!

Attachments

• bird forum Giant swallowtail yellow underside.jpg
    bird forum Giant swallowtail yellow underside.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 49
The ones in California have started to spread across orchards and ornamental orange trees, don't think any other food plant is documented here. It is an interesting species that is rather variable in its habits.

(Technically it is two species now, "eastern" giant swallowtail and "western". Yours is eastern.)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back