• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caterpillars in webs (1 Viewer)

Keith Dickinson

Opus Editor
Hi,
Can anyone give me an id for these caterpillars that I saw today at Fairburn Ings, there were several trees covered in the cocoon/webs.
Only a compact camera so not brilliant pictures.

Attachments

• caterpillars.jpg
    caterpillars.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 178
  • tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 174
Hi,
Can anyone give me an id for these caterpillars that I saw today at Fairburn Ings, there were several trees covered in the cocoon/webs.
Only a compact camera so not brilliant pictures.

They are called "Tent Caterpillars" and a menace.
To get rid of them I use a propane tourch.
Bill

These look like Ermine Moth caterpillars (Yponomeuta evonymella), which form these cocoons on Bird Cherry (Prunus padus). They are a very common feature on bird cherries up here and do not seem to do the tree any lasting harm, even when there is a heavy infestation that strips most of the leaves.

Last edited:
These look like Ermine Moth caterpillars (Yponomeuta evonymella), which form these cocoons on Bird Cherry (Prunus padus). They are a very common feature on bird cherries up here and do not seem to do the tree any lasting harm, even when there is a heavy infestation that strips most of the leaves.

I would agree, Cherry Ermine Moth. I get these in great multitudes in the valley where I live. For the past 12 years they have completely defoliated every Bird Cherry in the valley, and that's several hundred trees in total.

Another Ermine species covers Hawthorn hedges with identical webs, these are not so common in my area, but I have seen stretches of Hawthorn hedging completely stripped for stretches exceeding a mile in length.

Harry

Thanks for the replies, I've been birding at Fairburn Ings for 25+ years and can honestly say that it is the first time I've seen this phenomenon. I'll be keeping my eye on them with a view to seeing the pupae and adults, if you reckon that would be feasible.

Thanks for the replies, I've been birding at Fairburn Ings for 25+ years and can honestly say that it is the first time I've seen this phenomenon. I'll be keeping my eye on them with a view to seeing the pupae and adults, if you reckon that would be feasible.

Keith,
You won't see the pupae on the webs, the larvae descend to the ground to pupate. Moths are abundant by night, but can be disturbed by day quite easily.

Try taking a few larvae home, they are very easily bred if you have access to a Bird Cherry nearby to provide fresh food.

Harry

Some small spindle trees near me are covered in the webs of the spindle ermine, Yponomeuta cagnagella, each year. The caterpillars look very much like the ones in the first photo in the OP and strip the leaves. The trees grow more leaves and seem to recover each year.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back