• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some recent new moth appearances (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Peach Blossom - Nice!
2. Setaceous Hebrew Character - is this a bit early? These are really common here later in the year (second brood). Is that the same with you?
3. Tawny-barred Angle - that must be early
4. Is that May Highflyer?
5. Bet that's another May Highflyer isn't it. I can see these causing me trouble!

Of course the other way to cheat with these is to look at your Wicklow lists thread ;)

SetHebChar in mid.May? Completely bonkers. Are you sure you haven't thrown that one in to confuse? That's an August jobbie round here.

Set HC first emerged here last year on May 21st. Numbers peaked on May 30th at 14 in a trap. Continued to get single figure numbers throughout summer till Aug 12th. Numbers peaked again at 370!! in a trap on Sep 10th 11 times I got over 100 in a trap. Last recordedon Nov 18th.

In numbers this was my most numerous moth last year.

And Brian, your right with May Highflyer. (At least thats what I put them down as) Also recorded a Ruddy Highflyer, but it was camera shy. and I knew you'd be smart enough to look at other thread.

Don't record much Tawny-barred angle so can't comment on that. I had 4 singles in garden last year. The last being July 12th. Last nights were recorded in the woods where I trap infrequently.

Last edited:
First cinnabar of the year

Out again lunchtime today in North Cambs, seeing very few birds (Hobby, Marsh Harrier, an early juv Sparrowhawk) but did get my first adult Cinnabar of the year, plenty of butterflies (especially Green-veined Whites) and a teneral damselfly (presumed Large Red). Perhaps tonight might see some more moths appearing.

Here's more recent ones, not all last night.

Attachments

• 1764001.jpg
    1764001.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 1918001.jpg
    1918001.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 1957001.jpg
    1957001.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 2069001.jpg
    2069001.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 53
  • 2334001.jpg
    2334001.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 59
A very nice shot of that White Pinion Spotted. I have never seen one anywhere, except of course in museum collections.

Harry Eales.

harry eales said:
A very nice shot of that White Pinion Spotted. I have never seen one anywhere, except of course in museum collections.

Harry Eales.

Its actually quite a scarce species in Ireland having only been recorded in SW and Wicklow in past. I now have 10 records of 11 individuals between last year and this year at affectively 2 sites (calling all the farm sites as one)

I'll have a go at the others
1. Common Marbled Carpet
2. Lunar Thorn
3. White-pinion Spotted
4. Cinnabar
5. Not sure - Shark of some kind?

brianhstone said:
I'll have a go at the others
1. Common Marbled Carpet
2. Lunar Thorn
3. White-pinion Spotted
4. Cinnabar
5. Not sure - Shark of some kind?

Spot on with the 4. The last one is a Rustic Shoulder-knot I think a common species over British Isles, so your're likely to see it. Actually missed it this morning and so did not get into my report. Often miss smaller moths on the initial trap count but I don't know how I overlooked this one.

Its hard to ID an unfamiliar moth when the pic doesn't show it that well and when you don't know size.

About the Common Marbled Carpet, It can be confused with Dark Marbled Carpet, but the latter is single brooded and willk be in flight in July or so which is in between the 2 broods of Common Marbled Carpet. There is overlap and the species can be told apart by looking at differences with markings on back of hindwing. I think I've probably under recorded Dark Marbled Carpet.

Back to overlooking moths, I spotted the one in picture this afternoon in trap and it turned out to be a VC first!! Its Aspilapteryx tringipennella Code = 0294
About 6mm long

Attachments

• DSCN2060#001.jpg
    DSCN2060#001.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 51
3 of these were yearly firsts and I've thrown the other 2 in. One got last night and the other the previous night.
For no. 5 go to page 317 in Waring or plate 29 in Skinner. When this and many other similarish species get a bit worn, they become even more difficult and impossible.

no.1 is red form of Dark-barred Twin-spot carpet. The 'notch can just be seen'
no.2 is Yellow-barred Brindle. It one that many have trouble in finding ID for as books struggle to depict them well.
No. 3 Common Wave. Alot of confusion species, but after time and practice, they become easier to suss out.
no. 4 Buff Tip, a birch feeder with brilliant camouflage if it was ob birch of course.
no.5 Pale-shouldered Brocade. Had this down as Dusky Brocade at first until I noticed 'pale shoulders' Many similarish species and they become more difficult when they are more worn.

Attachments

• 1725001.jpg
    1725001.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 1883001.jpg
    1883001.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 40
  • 1956001.jpg
    1956001.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 1994001.jpg
    1994001.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 2158001.jpg
    2158001.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Catches must be improving as no-one has the time to answer the previous post.

Here's more newish ones

The last one is out during day and adores buttercups and other flowers. It is Glyphipterix simpliciella (Cocksfoot Moth) Its only about 4mm long and there can be 20 or more to a flower. if you look closely at them you can see them 'inhaling and exhaling' They have this habit of sort of flexing their wings. As you can see from English name they feed internally in cockfoot grass.

I'll leave the others un-named for now.

Attachments

• 1958001.jpg
    1958001.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 2284001.jpg
    2284001.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 2450001.jpg
    2450001.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 2450002.jpg
    2450002.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN0719#001.jpg
    DSCN0719#001.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 47
Angus T said:
Catches must be improving as no-one has the time to answer the previous post.

Here's more newish ones

The last one is out during day and adores buttercups and other flowers. It is Glyphipterix simpliciella (Cocksfoot Moth) Its only about 4mm long and there can be 20 or more to a flower. if you look closely at them you can see them 'inhaling and exhaling' They have this habit of sort of flexing their wings. As you can see from English name they feed internally in cockfoot grass.

I'll leave the others un-named for now.

Hi Angus,
1. Clouded Silver.
2. Either Dark or Grey Dagger
3&4. Spectacle.

Harry Eales.

harry eales said:
Hi Angus,
1. Clouded Silver.
2. Either Dark or Grey Dagger
3&4. Spectacle.

Harry Eales.

Isn't the Spectacle a sight!
More than likely Grey Dagger as larvae have not ever been found for Dark in Ireland as far as I'm aware. But I put them all down as Acronicta psi agg.

Elton Moths 15 May

New appearances last night were Common Swift and Lime Hawk-moth. Pics of the latter will be in the gallery before long but here is a preview of the two colour forms that arrived more or less together. One was at an MV light the other at an actinic but to my shame I can't be sure which was which.

I have also included a pic of the rather grotty Green Carpet from the previous night.

Other new appearances during the day today were the wacky little longhorn moth Adela raumaurella (metallic bronze with antennae 2-3 times the body length - http://cgi.ukmoths.force9.co.uk/show.php?id=896), with several flying around Elder and a Small Dusty Wave disturbed from cover.

Attachments

• lime_hawk_pair_may_04_640a.jpg
    lime_hawk_pair_may_04_640a.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 94
  • lime_hawk_red_may_04_640a.jpg
    lime_hawk_red_may_04_640a.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 91
  • lime_hawk_green_may_04_640a.jpg
    lime_hawk_green_may_04_640a.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 104
  • green_carpet_may_04_640a.jpg
    green_carpet_may_04_640a.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
brianhstone said:
New appearances last night were Common Swift and Lime Hawk-moth. Pics of the latter will be in the gallery before long but here is a preview of the two colour forms that arrived more or less together. One was at an MV light the other at an actinic but to my shame I can't be sure which was which.

I have also included a pic of the rather grotty Green Carpet from the previous night.

Other new appearances during the day today were the wacky little longhorn moth Adela raumaurella (metallic bronze with antennae 2-3 times the body length - http://cgi.ukmoths.force9.co.uk/show.php?id=896), with several flying around Elder and a Small Dusty Wave disturbed from cover.

Well you may redefine "grotty" after a few more Green carpets! I know there is a missing tip. but it still has a lot of colour. I haven't had many Green Carpets, but some hardly even have the black colour left, never mind the green.
The different forms of Lime HM is interesting. Great to get both together.

Angus T said:
Isn't the Spectacle a sight!
More than likely Grey Dagger as larvae have not ever been found for Dark in Ireland as far as I'm aware. But I put them all down as Acronicta psi agg.

Hi Angus,
I usually get both Spectacles in my garden trap and I agree they are fantastic insects.

Re. Grey/Dark Dagger, many years ago I did genitalia prep's of all the Grey/Dark Dagger specimens in a local natural history museum, a total of over 200 individuals collected over a century and a half. Some 50+ were supposedly Dark Daggers, in reality less than ten were. It would appear to be much the scarcer of the two in northern England. I must admit I have never knowingly seen a Dark Dagger myself in either larval or adult form.

Anyone want a sack of Cockchaffers? the noise of them hitting the vanes of my moth trap makes the neighbours think I have a machine gun. I wish the moths were as responsive, another poor night despite ideal conditions.
1 Brimstone.
1 Lunar Thorn.
2 May Highfliers.
1 Spruce Carpet.
1 20 Plume.
3 tatty pugs beyond identification.
1 Water Carpet.
1 Clouded Silver.
1 Hebrew Character.

I'm starting to ask myself if it's worth the outlay on electricity.

Harry Eales.

New in my garden trap in Elton Sunday night:
Knot Grass
Treble Lines
Rustic Shoulder-knot
Lychnis
Shuttle-shaped Dart
Pebble Prominent
Epiblema cynosbatella

And last night at a local nature reserve (full list **= new to me)
Micro for ID
Cinnabar, 1
**Pale Tussock, 2, male and female
Pebble Prominent, 1
Swallow Prominent, 1
Common Pug, 3
Least Back Arches, 1
Pale Prominent, 1
Figure of Eighty, 1
Poplar Hawk-moth, 1
**Barred Hooktip, 1
**Clouded Border, 1