• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A macro for confirmation, please (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Caught last night on the IOM.
It's photographed on 1cm grids, Harry! ;)

Attachments

• Moth050604.jpg
    Moth050604.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 146
CJW said:
Caught last night on the IOM.
It's photographed on 1cm grids, Harry! ;)

Does that refer to the big squares or the little ones Chris. lol.

I've not seen a moth like this, at least in colour and lack of definitive features,
my best guess is that it's an Ingrailed Clay D.mendica variant.

It will be interesting to see that other alternatives others come up with.

Harry

You won't get confirmation from me.

All I can come up with though (size may rule these out) is a rufous Small Dotted Buff or Cloaked Minor. The latter is in my mind as I had one last night, and never knew it to be so variable.

I'm only giving you what seems to be nearest, not what I think it is.

Did it come out of local supermarket?

Thanks Angus. It IS a Small Dotted Buff - a male. We don't get many and the only illustrations I can find are all a bit grotty.
Not sure I understand the supermarket comment, but then I don't 'do' supermarkets (no point in being married if I had to do them myself!).

CJW said:
Not sure I understand the supermarket comment, but then I don't 'do' supermarkets (no point in being married if I had to do them myself!).

The overseas fruit and veg dept at the local supermarket is where CJW finds most of his catches Angus ;)

Having seen this moth 'in the hand' last night I (for once) agree with the ID of this moth.

CJW said:
Thanks Angus. It IS a Small Dotted Buff - a male. We don't get many and the only illustrations I can find are all a bit grotty.
Just was wondering whether its an exotic.

Have you seen one like this before? Doesn't appear to be mention of rufous colouring in literature.

Must say, I think its stunning

Oh just seen your last post. I take it you haven't seen many of this form then! I did get a few last year but certainly no hint of red.

He's a little beauty isn't he. What the photo doesn't show is the sheen of the rufous bits they really reflect the light at certain angles.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back