• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June Moths - 2014 (1 Viewer)

Last night produced more than 100 Heart and Darts for me. However, some interest was added with an NFM in the shape of the Miller. The rest was the usual fayre.

Andy M.

Cant beat the 100 this year yet but had 128 one catch last year ( I only did 3 catches last year and my H&D records were 58, 40,128.....)

an unusual Heart and Dart from two days ago. Visibly smaller, different shaped and wonderfully marked. How unusual?

Dave

Attachments

• small-H&D.jpg
    small-H&D.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 50
A few lifers

a few lifers today:

Garden Pebble, Bordered White and what I think is a Common Plume

Dave

Attachments

• Bordered-White.jpg
    Bordered-White.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Common-Plume.jpg
    Common-Plume.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 25
  • June-1.jpg
    June-1.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Last night's catch down in numbers, 36 of 27 species but included Beautiful Brocade, Four-dotted Footman and Cream-bordered Green Pea, which I think are fairly unusual, also Elephant Hawk-moth and a Mottled Beauty of f. conversaria variety, which had me scratching my head for a while....

So with a few bits still in the fridge on which I need to play catch up (and some coleophora cases and other larvae munching away), I’ve finally caught up on my leps yearlist.

Snout was the 261st lep of the year at the start of the month. A few year ticks trickled through thereafter to garden traps - Small Dusty Wave, Small Clouded Brindle, Flame, Buff Ermine and Clay Triple-lines.

The first big night of the year on Friday 6th June produced about 125 species in an area of calcareous grassland and woodland on the patch. Of these, the following so far identified were year ticks – Ghost, Treble Brown-spot, Flame Carpet, Purple Bar, Haworth’s Pug, Tawny-barred Angle, Lime Hawk-moth, Green Arches, Grey Arches, Miller, Alder Moth, Dark Dagger, Coronet, Small Angle Shades, Dark Arches, Marbled Whitespot, Beautiful Golden Y, Straw Dot, Caloptilia alchimiella, Caloptilia robustella, Scoparia pyrallela, Teleiodes luculella, Eudonia lineola, Scoparia ambigualis, Epinotia ramella, Spatalistis bifasciana, Blastobasis lacticolella, Pandemis cinnamomeana, Pandemis cerasana, Agapeta hamana, Udea olivalis, Prays fraxinella, Anenia lancealis, Phycita roborella, Small Magpie, Epinotia tenereana, Nemapogon schwarziellus, Nemapogon metaxella, Pammene germanna and Phyllonorycter trifasciella. A few things still to look at with Pammenes, a Bucculatrix, a Swammerdamia etc.

That night was trumped in emphatic style by a friend's Scarce Merveille du Jour the same ‎night on my patch as a first for the county and the next couple of days including the Sunday added Elephant Hawkmoth, Shears, Obscure Wainscot, Celypha striana, Eudonia pallida, Green Pug, Chrysoteuchia culmella, Ringed China-mark, Magpie, Blood-vein, Small White, Large White, Meadow Brown, Stenoptilia zophodactyla and Bryotropha terrella.

Then a trip to Dungeness to twitch Britain's second Barred Pine Carpet on Tuesday 10th June added that and also out and about Ethmia bipunctella, Ethmia terminella, Thistle Ermine, Satin Wave, Shaded Pug, Light Arches, Small Blood-vein, Brown-tail (caterpillar), Rest Harrow, Epiblemma uddmanniana, Mullein Wave, Grass Emerald, Cream-spot Tiger, Teleiopsis diffinis, Cream-bordered Green Pea, Scarce Footman, White Spot, Marbled Coronet, Bordered Sallow, Light Brocade, Shoulder-striped Wainscot, Yellow Belle, Small Seraphim, Barred Yellow, Eyed Hawk-moth, Endotrichia flammealis, Argyresthia pygmaeella, Acrobasis marmorea and Homoesoma sinuella.

Back to the patch and just off patch with some battery-operated actinics kept the momentum going with ‎Fern, Heart and Club, Beautiful Hook-tip, Ditula angustoriana, Lozotaenia forsterana, Double Square-spot, Burnished Brass, July Highflyer, Buff Arches, Common Footman, Green Oak Tortix, Small China-mark, Endothenia gentianaeana, Mottled Rustic, Lychnis, Eudonia lacustrata, Chilo phragmitella, Cydia pomonella, Sallow Kitten and Hedya nubiferana.

Then, the night of Saturday 14th June at Wyndcliffe, Gwent added a deluge of yearticks from about 135 species with Scarce Hook-tip, Eudonia delunella, Dot Moth, Ruddy Carpet, Tinea semirubella, Purple Clay, Waved Carpet, Satin Lutestring, Fan-foot, Clouded Magpie, Scarlet Tiger, Arthrips podana, Grey Pug, Little Emerald, Tawny-barred Angle, Mompha ochaceella, Bee Moth, Eucosma cana, Oecophora bractella, Barred Straw, Cryptoblabes bistriga, Adela croesella, Red-necked Footman, Salebriopsis albicilla, Pauper Pug, Small Fan-footed Wave, Lunar Thorn, White-lined Snout, Dichomeris ustalella, Elachista gangabella, Epinotia subocellana, Ancylis diminutana, Aethes cnicana, Argyresthia conjugella, Rhyaconia pinivorana, Argyresthia goedartella, Cydia fagiglanda and Strophedra weirana. Again a few things to look at with a small tort and an Ectoedamia or two.

A road-trip on Sunday 15th June to the south east added Bill's Euchromius cambridgei and a Least Carpet on the windows at Maidstone services before the Aedia funestra at Dungeness. Then checking a garden trap there and swinging a net nearby added ‎Large Skipper, Tawny Shears, Rustic, Cinnebar, Synaphe punctalis, Dolicharthia punctalis, Cnephasia longiana, Platytes cerusella, Celypha cespitana, Blastobasis adustella, Wood Sage Plume, Small Skipper, Common Blue, Dioryctria abietella and Oecognia quadripuncta. Some visitors then produced Dark Brocade, Barrett's Marbled Coronet, Galium Carpet, Olindia schumacherana, Lobesia littoralis and Phycitodes saxicola out of a cool bag to keep the yearlist moving apace.

Since then further things added include Dusky Brocade, Pine Carpet, Privet Hawk-moth, Uncertain, Udea prunalis, Five-spot Burnet, Aethes beatricella, Glyphipterix simpliciella, Large Tabby, Anania coronate, Broad-barred White, Currant Pug and L-album Wainscot and some pheromones have added Red-tipped Clearwing.

So the current totals are overall leps yearlist – 459 with 273 macros, 16 butterflies and 170 micros and patch leps yearlist – 319 with 203 macros, 14 butterflies and 102 micros.

All the best

Last edited:
Pics of Beautiful Brocade (I hope! - confirmation appreciated), Four-dotted Footman and Cream-bordered Green Pea, with apologies for poor quality, not sure what's going on! Camera focus seems "rangy":

Attachments

• IMG_8456crop.jpg
    IMG_8456crop.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8460crop.jpg
    IMG_8460crop.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8462crop.jpg
    IMG_8462crop.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 33
Best moths of the year so far.....

I was greeted this morning with a host of moths clinging to the side of the skinner box, including 3 Elephant Hawk moths (with a 4th in side the box), overall very Good result last night with some lovely moths. Good numbers of species (46) with some high counts of the following:

Heart and Dart 37, Flame 28, Small Angle Shades 10

Still some sorting to do so no trap tonight while I catch up.

Attachments

• Peach-Blosom.jpg
    Peach-Blosom.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Plain-Golden-y.jpg
    Plain-Golden-y.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Red-barred-Tortrix.jpg
    Red-barred-Tortrix.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Buff-Arches.jpg
    Buff-Arches.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
And getting better.....

49 Species this morning: Again some new species for my garden this morning, including Pebble Hook-tip, Common Footman and Spinach. Other nice species include first for the year Burnished Brass, 5 x Elephant Hawk-moth, 3 x Small Magpie and 2 x Beautiful Pume

Dave

Attachments

• Pebble-Hook-tip.jpg
    Pebble-Hook-tip.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Spinach.jpg
    Spinach.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Beautiful-Plume.jpg
    Beautiful-Plume.jpg
    811.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Common-Footman.jpg
    Common-Footman.jpg
    804.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
"Beautiful Brocade (I hope! - confirmation appreciated)"

...see my post #66 above, please - is it a tricky one, or should I re-post in IDs?

Just potted a Juniper Webber, new for me, hopefully this will be a good night.

"Beautiful Brocade (I hope! - confirmation appreciated)"

...see my post #66 above, please - is it a tricky one, or should I re-post in IDs?

Just potted a Juniper Webber, new for me, hopefully this will be a good night.

That's a full-frontal Beautiful Brocade alright. Very nice.

Thanks Bill! I'm sure I'll get better as time goes by...

Last night produced a few interesting moths, best being a Waved Black; also new for me were the Juniper Webber and a Purple Clay, with Brown China-mark a "catch-up" from my old list from 1981! Another, or a re-trapped, Rosy Marbled, first Buff Arches for the year, Rusty-dot Pearl and Small Fan-foot amongst 62 moths of 31 species.

Attachments

• IMG_8464crop.jpg
    IMG_8464crop.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 34
A surprise Burnet sp caught in the trap this morning, no idea which

East Cheshire.

Dave

Attachments

• Burnet.jpg
    Burnet.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 25
  • Burnet-sp.jpg
    Burnet-sp.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 24
First trip into the woods

My first outing with the 125 MV and although I didn't realise how quickly it uses the petrol, until I was in the dark in the middle of the woods, I did pick up a few new species, including:

1924 Orange Moth Angerona prunaria
2009 Maple Prominent Ptilodon cucullina (an odd find)

robhope

UK Lepidoptera 424 (1924 Orange Moth Angerona prunaria) UK Plants 412 (Nottingham Catchfly) & UK Birds 236 (Black-winged Stilt)

Attachments

• Orange Moth Angerona prunaria.jpg
    Orange Moth Angerona prunaria.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 30
  • Maple Prominent Ptilodon cucullina.jpg
    Maple Prominent Ptilodon cucullina.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 35
Catch numbers seem remarkably consistent of late, but with a nice turnover of species - last night 66 moths of 37 species, with Bordered White, Lobster Moth and Lozotaenia forsterana new for me, and Large Tabby probably the most unusual. Pic below, also Juniper Webber from the previous night (with a bit of wing nibbled off! Not by me, I hasten to add....).

Attachments

• IMG_8470crop.jpg
    IMG_8470crop.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8467crop.jpg
    IMG_8467crop.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 24
Here are a few from last night.

1 Coxcomb Prominent

2 Brimstone Moth

3 Peppered Moth

4 Small Angle Shades

Attachments

• Coxcomb Prominent 1.jpg
    Coxcomb Prominent 1.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Brimstone Moth.jpg
    Brimstone Moth.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Peppered Moth.jpg
    Peppered Moth.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Small Angle Shade 1.jpg
    Small Angle Shade 1.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 23
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back