• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July Moths (1 Viewer)

My ealier post seems to have vanished, so apologies if it reappears.

A quiet night on Friday night, apart from the water Veneer invasion, brought a new lifer for me:

974 Argyrotaenia ljungiana

UK Lepidoptera 444 (974 Argyrotaenia ljungiana) UK Plants 412 (Nottingham Catchfly) & UK Birds 236 (Black-winged Stilt)

Attachments

• 974 Argyrotaenia ljungiana.jpg
    974 Argyrotaenia ljungiana.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 38
Some images of this mornings catch, but would anyone like to confirm or put me right that I have an Alder Kitten

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• Lempkes-Gold-Spot.jpg
    Lempkes-Gold-Spot.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Gold-Spangle.jpg
    Gold-Spangle.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Herald.jpg
    Herald.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Ruby-Tiger.jpg
    Ruby-Tiger.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Alder-Kitten.jpg
    Alder-Kitten.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I'd say Sallow Kitten, as the trailing edge of the wing-bar has a couple of indentations rather than being a smooth curve.

Nice Lempke's Gold Spot and Gold Spangle, both would be new for me! Mustn't be greedy though - Oak Eggar was new last night, as was Beautiful China-mark.

Last edited:
I'd say Sallow Kitten, as the trailing edge of the wing-bar has a couple of indentations rather than being a smooth curve.

Nice Lempke's Gold Spot and Gold Spangle, both would be new for me! Mustn't be greedy though - Oak Eggar was new last night, as was Beautiful China-mark.

Cheers Mark - Sallow confirmed so thanks for that. Bothe the LGS and Gold Spangle were both new for me :t:

Well done on the Oak Eggar :t:

Just one more from this morning ...... I am milking this as this was my last trapping session until next weekend :-C

Agapeta hamana

Regards
Dave

Attachments

• Agapeta-hamana.jpg
    Agapeta-hamana.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 31
This morning's Oak Eggar, plus a confirmation please of White-line Dart - I understand the New Forest holds a smaller, darker form which is what I believe I have here, but I couldn't find any pictures that were of this form (and thanks to David Bananafishbones for the excellent idea of using the fieldguide as a backdrop!).

Attachments

• IMG_8513crop.jpg
    IMG_8513crop.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8515crop.jpg
    IMG_8515crop.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 49
I went to catch up with the Bonaparte's Gull at Oare Marshes in Kent today and was slightly surprised to find this Sitochroa palealis along the saltmarsh. Parsons/Lewington shows it to be 'very local' whilst the Kent Moths website shows Nb. Still, another addition to the list.

And Mark, I would agree with your White-line Dart. A nicely marked moth.

Andy M

Attachments

• Sitochroa palealis 20140727 Oare.JPG
    Sitochroa palealis 20140727 Oare.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 48
An incredibly hot, still night in urban Southampton. It still didn’t manage to bump my catch up above 12 macro species, but there were a couple of macros I was pleased to see on or around the trap, which I picture below: Marbled Green and Dusky Sallow.

Attachments

• marbledgreen.jpg
    marbledgreen.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 22
  • duskysallow.jpg
    duskysallow.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 33

What I'd give for an Oak Eggar!...one can but dream. On the kitten front, I've only ever had one in seven years, Oh for another....

Attachments

• Poplar Kitten.jpeg
    Poplar Kitten.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 32
This morning's Oak Eggar, plus a confirmation please of White-line Dart - I understand the New Forest holds a smaller, darker form which is what I believe I have here, but I couldn't find any pictures that were of this form (and thanks to David Bananafishbones for the excellent idea of using the fieldguide as a backdrop!).

We just need the critters to conform and stay put for a few seconds :-O

Hi Andy1979 - might be fairly common in Kent, Sirochroa Palealis. There were two in our trap at Dungeness last night and I also kicked up at least one in Dartford Park a couple of weeks back.

Between us, there were 12 traps around the Obs and Long Pits last night and highlights included a new for trap for me and Alex when we pulled out a Pine Hawk Moth this morning. Migrant? Also Bordered Straw in our trap was NFU and a couple of Scarce Chocolate Tips were caught in the traps in the Long Pits. We also recorded 21 Cydia Amplana between us (10 previous Dungeness individuals).

A hat load of (pale) Grass Eggars, Chevron, Chocolate Tip, a few Sallow Kittens, Iron, Pale, Swallow and Pebble Prominents, 2 Dark Tussocks, Shore, Silky, Twin Spotted, Bulrush and Smoky Wainscots, Breckland Plume and Langmaid's Yellow Underwing.

Cheers,

Andy.

Attachments

• Scarce Chocolate Tip.JPG
    Scarce Chocolate Tip.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Bordered Straw.JPG
    Bordered Straw.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Cydia Amplana.JPG
    Cydia Amplana.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Breckland Plume.JPG
    Breckland Plume.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 2 sp Chocolate Tip.JPG
    2 sp Chocolate Tip.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 36
Trapped this rather nice Olive last night, another new one for me.

Attachments

• Olive.JPG
    Olive.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 64
Hi Andy1979 - might be fairly common in Kent, Sirochroa Palealis. There were two in our trap at Dungeness last night and I also kicked up at least one in Dartford Park a couple of weeks back.

Between us, there were 12 traps around the Obs and Long Pits last night and highlights included a new for trap for me and Alex when we pulled out a Pine Hawk Moth this morning. Migrant? Also Bordered Straw in our trap was NFU and a couple of Scarce Chocolate Tips were caught in the traps in the Long Pits. We also recorded 21 Cydia Amplana between us (10 previous Dungeness individuals).

A hat load of (pale) Grass Eggars, Chevron, Chocolate Tip, a few Sallow Kittens, Iron, Pale, Swallow and Pebble Prominents, 2 Dark Tussocks, Shore, Silky, Twin Spotted, Bulrush and Smoky Wainscots, Breckland Plume and Langmaid's Yellow Underwing.

Cheers,

Andy.

Thanks Andy. You seem to be doing pretty well down at Dunge. It is certainly looking good for the autumn...

Between us, there were 12 traps around the Obs and Long Pits last night and highlights included a new for trap for me and Alex when we pulled out a Pine Hawk Moth this morning. Migrant?

Cheers,

Andy.

Andy

Very nice selection.

Pine Hawk-moth was on the wing in good numbers in the New Forest on Saturday night with around 10 to 11 lights. It is annual at Dungeness presumably as wanderers from local populations more than migrants as such:-

http://www.mothsofdungeness.co.uk/systematic list/pinehawk.htm

All the best

Last edited:
Last night gave me two NFGs and a few NFYs:

Tree Lichen Beauty - 1 (NFG)
Onocera semirubella - 2 (NFG)

Copper Underwing - 1 (NFY)
Orange Swift - 1 (NFY)
Lesser Common Rustic (NFY) I usually wait for a stone bonker one before I claim it for the year, hence the slightly later date.
Acleris forsskaleana - 1 (NFY)
Epiphyas postvittiana - 1 (NFY)
Anania coronata - 3 (NFY)

Cheers,

Andy M.

Not massive numbers or variety last night, but a Mocha was new for me, and a rather nice-looking beast to boot -

Attachments

• IMG_8521crop.jpg
    IMG_8521crop.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 33
In my excitement over the Mocha, I forgot about the few pots in the fridge, which included two more "new for me" (if I'm right about ID - confirmation or correction appreciated) - Haworth's Pug and (a slightly ragged) Horse Chestnut -

Attachments

• IMG_8523crop.jpg
    IMG_8523crop.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8524crop.jpg
    IMG_8524crop.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 41
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back