• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October moths - 2014 (1 Viewer)

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
...well, someone had to start it...

Wed night (1st) was poor, 16 moths of 6 species, with 10 Lunar Underwing, 2 Grey Pine Carpet and singles of CM Carpet, Sh-sh dart, LYU and Uncertain.

Last night (4th) was cold, and even worse, just single Black Rustic and Lunar Underwing.

At least it won't take long to check the trap before work for the next few months :-C

October nights rarely produce much in my urban location.

I put my trap out on the 3rd and rescued it just as the deluge started yesterday morning. Just 15 moths of 8 species, which is about typical. Two Blair's Shoulder-knots were the highlight.

Might try again tonight.

Steve

October nights rarely produce much in my urban location.

I put my trap out on the 3rd and rescued it just as the deluge started yesterday morning. Just 15 moths of 8 species, which is about typical. Two Blair's Shoulder-knots were the highlight.

Might try again tonight.

Steve

Shouldn't have bothered - one Lunar Underwing, one Emm. monodactyla and one EP.

Steve

Weather's not currently fit to run the trap, unless I want it to end up in the neighbour's field, but my father did manage to find a nice Convolvulus Hawk-moth in his shed this morning.

Attachments

• CHM.JPG
    CHM.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 79
Still not updated the yearlist but two additions this morning - Green-brindled Crescent and Pink-barred Sallow. Also an L-album Waincot which is annual in small numbers on the patch but was only new to the county a few years ago.

Other moths this morning - Lunar Underwing, Beaded Chestnut, Black Rustic, Sallow, (a very small) Willow Beauty, Snout, Lesser and Large Yellow Underwing, Blair's Shoulderknot etc. No Epirittas yet.

All the best

The usual autumn fare continuing - Lunar Underwing, Beaded Chestnut, Black Rustic, Sallow, Large Wainscot, etc - but an unseasonable surprise was a Muslin Moth this morning. A check of local records suggests half a dozen sporadic autumn adults previously.

All the best

A poor yield again last night from the trap...Just Lunar Underwing and Red-Green Carpet, plus a Brimstone on the window sill, however earlier on in the day, I inadvertently disturbed a Diaphania perspectalis from a fatsia shrub in the garden....still on the wing on Oct.10th!

Cheers

Rare migrant visits Herts

Seriously good moth last night, a Diasemiopsis ramburialis taken at my 125 skinner in the garden at Little Hadham Hertfordshire. Only 2nd county record, first was 1963 and unusual to find this migrant so far from the coast.

Attachments

• DSC_0014_1.JPG
    DSC_0014_1.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 63
A poor yield again last night from the trap...Just Lunar Underwing and Red-Green Carpet, plus a Brimstone on the window sill, however earlier on in the day, I inadvertently disturbed a Diaphania perspectalis from a fatsia shrub in the garden....still on the wing on Oct.10th!

Cheers

Hi Ken,
Interestingly, a D perspectalis was taken at Cheshunt by an office security light on 14th October! Both yours and this one are late records, but then again, I took straw dot a couple of nights ago.
Cheers,
Jono

Hi Ken,
Interestingly, a D perspectalis was taken at Cheshunt by an office security light on 14th October! Both yours and this one are late records, but then again, I took straw dot a couple of nights ago.
Cheers,
Jono

Jono Hi,

It's great when you get an out of habitat i.e. coastal (especially so!) species, like your Diasemiopsis ramburialis...it kinda shows that almost ''anything is possible'' well done!
FWIW I had another D.Perspectalis on the patio doors last night,(without running the MV!). Presumably the relatively warm evenings are the cause..and I for one, am not complaining. Cheers, Ken.

A Blair's Mocha in a friend's patch trap this morning is the first county record I believe since two in Weston-super-mare (1956 and 1961) according to our local Atlas - subject to omissions and subsequent records!

All the best

Last edited:
Jono Hi,
FWIW I had another D.Perspectalis on the patio doors last night,(without running the MV!). Presumably the relatively warm evenings are the cause..and I for one, am not complaining. Cheers, Ken.

One was also taken in N. Surrey recently, well away from the usual area in Essex.
Martin

The morning after the night before! revealed...2 Garden Carpets, Lesser Yellow Undwng., Sallow,
Barred Sallow, 2 Red-Green Carpets, 2 Silver Y's, Shuttle-Shaped Dart, Blair's Shoulder Knot, Figure of Eight, Green Brindled Crescent and 8 D.perspectalis.

Not a bad night for me, mid October, 11 species!

Last edited:
Green brindled crescent and a red-lined quaker were the only things present in my trap this morning after a windy night.

Adam

Crimson Speckled, Norfolk, 18 Oct

Crimson Speckled at Burnham overy Dunes, 18 Oct. Flushed by day.

James

Attachments

• _CL_0926.jpg
    _CL_0926.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 67
Some great moths caught at Durlston by Steve Nash the other night. Check out the migrant lepidoptera facebook page for some gripping pics of Oleander and Convolvulus Hawks - together!

FWIW...another 5 D.perspectalis last night, along with Silver Y, Cypress Carpet, Yellow-line Quaker, Feathered Thorn, Blair's shoulder Knot, (a worn)Green-brindled Crescent, and Figure-of-Eight.

Cheers

Couple of strange moths to the trap this morning. Firstly, an extremely late straw dot and, secondly, this dark marked feathered thorn. Never seen one this shade before. Otherwise, regulars such as red-green carpet, green brindled crescent, satellite and red line quakers.
Is it just my trap or is black rustic very hard to come by this year? I've not had a single specimen yet
Cheers,
Jono

Attachments

• DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 59
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back