• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

November Moths (1 Viewer)

Amblyptilia punctidactyla was a new moth for me this morning. It had been in the house overnight and had successfully thwarted my wife's attempts to remove it. I had ignored it, assuming it to be acanthadactyla.
A pleasant surprise when I potted it.

Dave W

Took 1st Dec moth of the year last night with 3 mottled umber. Remember, December moth is an early flyer, usually around 5 - 6pm so if you turn the trap on after 8 you're likely to miss them. Hope you get one.
Cheers,
Jono

That is a very useful bit of information, which I was previously unaware of. Will have to set the trap up one morning and ask the wife to turn it on before I get home!

That is a very useful bit of information, which I was previously unaware of. Will have to set the trap up one morning and ask the wife to turn it on before I get home!

A friend always used to use a timer on his plug but I've always failed to be that organised. I think that it is worth it though.

All the best

Took 1st Dec moth of the year last night with 3 mottled umber. Remember, December moth is an early flyer, usually around 5 - 6pm so if you turn the trap on after 8 you're likely to miss them. Hope you get one.
Cheers,
Jono

Didn't know that--but I don't have my own trap anyway. All of my local contacts have had 0 moths in the past few days. 1 chestnut last week.

I've ''moth-balled'' my trap till Spring, however, a December Moth on my patio doors last night no doubt attracted by the security light, was pleasing as was the Red Admiral seen earlier on today.

Cheers

Does anyone know if the December/winter moths will come to a 40w actinic light, or is it just the brighter mv lights that attract them?

FWIW: I had 6 December Moths to the Actinic on Fri night (Nov 28th), and only 1 to 125w MV last night (29th).

The Winter Moths come to the window lights and seem oblivious to moth traps at the moment.

Paul

Last edited:
First time with the trap for a month due to holiday, illness and (minor) operation!

Just a Chestnut last night, new for garden; hopefully I'll manage a December Moth at some point (would be new for me).

Edit - found a Scarce Umber on the extension lead box whilst tidying away, new for me!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back