• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scarce Tortoiseshell in Sussex (1 Viewer)

Jan-Paul Charteris

Sussex birder and budding moth enthusiast
Today I found this lovely little chap. At Pulborough Brooks RSPB, by the pond at the lower part of the zigzags TQ 05716 16734. A freshly emerged from hibernation Scarce Tort, and in great condition with only a few signs of wear. I'm ever so slightly chuffed! It constitutes the first county record, and probably the first British record away from the east coast? Larger versions of the photos can be found on my Flickr page (link in my signature here)

Attachments

• IMG_4587.JPG
    IMG_4587.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4372 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_4372 - Copy.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 88
Great find Jan-Paul. Could you tell me what features to look for to separate from Small? Is it just the yellow legs?

Cheers,

Andy M

Any news today?

No sign today, plenty of us looked so we can probably assume it got munched by a bird or something. Yesterday it was very territorial, chasing off any Brimstone or Peacock that came within sight, and was very faithful to one small area. That said, as yesterday warmed up, it became increasingly flighty (it was extremely tame and approachable earlier on), and was perching in the tops of trees when we last saw it, so it could have just moved on

Great find Jan-Paul. Could you tell me what features to look for to separate from Small? Is it just the yellow legs?

Cheers,

Andy M

Cheers :t: No it's quite a bit larger, similar to Peacock in size, and the flight is very similar to Peacock with plenty of gliding. The hindwings have much less dark than Small Tort, it doesn't have the clear row of blue spot on the rear border of the wings etc. The difficulty is separating from Large Tort, but there are some small differences in the patterning of the uppersides, and the pale legs are a clincher

Ah, just curious - haven't read any of it at all....and quietly hoping it'll be around tomoz afternoon when I'm over that way ;)

hoping it'll be around tomoz afternoon when I'm over that way ;)

Good luck Ads, wish it was a bit closer to me. And great find Jan-Paul.

Any news from today?

Also, can anyone sumarise what to look for to exclude Large (apart from the legs)? Would be tradge to get one briefly and not clock the right features.

Last edited:
there's a comparison pic on richard lewington's twitter
https://twitter.com/rlewington2

but no pointers, think it's to do with overall orange saturation and the pattern along the outer edge of the hind wing

cheers,
james

thanks. Looks like presence or absence of that narrow but fairly noticeable pale yellowish line between the orange interior of the hindwing, and where the black/purple spots pattern starts, might stand out at a glance.

Butterfly twitching is serious business; far more serious than birding :t:

Also much less successful...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back