• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cryptic Wood White & Irish Damselfly (1 Viewer)

PaulClack

Afternoon all,

I'll be in Belfast with work next week and if the weathers good, thinking about taking a day off and going to look for cryptic wood white and Irish damselfly. I've read the excellent post from Larry Sweetland from 2007 that found CWW at Oxford Island and ID at Montiaghs Moss. Does anyone have any more recent updates at all? Think the timing should be OK for the damselfly and coming towards the end for CWW, but given recent weather we might still be OK?

Will report back if we have a crack, so any help appreciated.

Thanks

P

Success!

As promised, here is a report from our day out today.

Arrived at Montiagh's Moss in great weather, warmest day of the year in NI. On the pools Harry described in his 2007 report we found blue damsels, these seemed to be an equal mix of Irish and variable. Great site, with lots of four-spotted chasers, a single hairy dragonfly plus blue-tailed and large red damsels.

On to Craigavon Lakes, where cryptic wood whites were common, probably the most numerous butterfly on site with 20+ seen between the lakes and in grassland around the south side of the southern lake near the car park. Couldn't find any bee orchids, but lots of twayblades coming out and common spotted orchids in bud.

A few images attached - Irish, variable and the moss, plus a couple of CWWs from Craigavon.

Cheers,

Paul

Attachments

• Irish damsel (Small).jpg
    Irish damsel (Small).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Variable damsel (Small).jpg
    Variable damsel (Small).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Montiaghs Moss.JPG
    Montiaghs Moss.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 92
  • CWW1 (Small).jpg
    CWW1 (Small).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 94
  • CWW detail.JPG
    CWW detail.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 83
Cryptic Wood White?

Someone want to fill me in, never heard of it?

No mention in Collins guide even as a race that I can see?

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back