• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

This is my trap, show me yours! (1 Viewer)

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
(with apologies to the Manics...)

I thought it might be interesting, and perhaps useful/educational, to see other moth'ers set-ups, starting with my own. If anyone can see any flaws, has any suggestions etc please chip in. Pictures show the trap against back wall of garage in "side garden", fenced off to keep the dogs in, and positioned near back door. Garden "proper" behind house also pictured. Photos taken mid-afternoon today.

When showers are possible I put the small white table over the trap; I don't usually trap if rain is more or less certain.

Attachments

• IMG_9052adj.jpg
    IMG_9052adj.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_9054adj.jpg
    IMG_9054adj.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_9055adj.jpg
    IMG_9055adj.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_9056adj.jpg
    IMG_9056adj.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_9059adj.jpg
    IMG_9059adj.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
This is my trap site, the light is on a pole approximately where the red dot is. My garden is relatively uninteresting but the surrounding gardens are a mix of native and non-native planting. In addition my garden backs on to an area of wet woodland and melaluca trees.
The trap site is exceedingly well sheltered by the roof over hang and unless the wind is from the wrong direction the light can run in all weathers - the only problem is that occasionally moths are on the overhang itself which is about 4m off the ground and so hanging out of the bedroom window is required to get any form of photo - my only records of Spodoptera picta have been like this hence the very poor shots of this stunning species

Attachments

• house trap site.JPG
    house trap site.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 116
  • house garden from deck.JPG
    house garden from deck.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Spodoptera picta 19 7 15 (4).JPG
    Spodoptera picta 19 7 15 (4).JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I don't have a garden so can't use a conventional trap. I use a 160w blended Tungsten / Mercury bulb positioned at the open window to my porch.

I attend the light until 0200hrs usually and after that I position egg boxes in each corner of the porch and this seems to work quite well.

I've recorded 228 macro species in this way including numerous County rarities including Red-necked Footman, Tissue and Dark Spectacle.

View from the window as requested and I got another new species last night in White-line Dart.

Andy

Attachments

• DSCN4016.JPG
    DSCN4016.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN4026.JPG
    DSCN4026.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, Dom and Andy.

I'd be interested in the view from that window, Andy! Does sound like a good set-up, basically a giant trap albeit with an over-large entrance, but if you're lurking in attendance, escapees are not so much of a problem.

View from the window as requested and I got another new species last night in White-line Dart.

Andy

Thanks Andy - I guess the houses are too far away to be bothered by the light, and you've got a good vantage point over a long distance with mixed gardens. I've often wondered if I should raise my trap up a little to try for more "reach" but this risks disturbing neighbours so I've not tried it yet.

Hi
I thought I'd broaden the remit a little and include a photo of one of my moth trap locations - in the mountains of Mallorca.
Hope you like it (I do!).
Martin

Attachments

• 38 trap at Binifaldo.jpg
    38 trap at Binifaldo.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 107
Here's my solution to the problem of neighbour disturbance. Inside the Wendy house is a skinner trap with a 125w MV bulb - there are usually as many moths inside the house as in the actual trap itself.

Cheers
Paul

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 112
Hi
I thought I'd broaden the remit a little and include a photo of one of my moth trap locations - in the mountains of Mallorca.
Hope you like it (I do!).
Martin

Were you running that off a battery, Martin?
Or is there some unseen building nearby with
and electricity supply?
best
David

Hi
I should have perhaps explained a little more. For quite a few years I've been working on the moths of the Balearics and of s'Albufera in particular, usually with two trips a year (spring and autumn). A few years ago I was invited to trap at this location and others, such as the islands of Sa Dragonera and Cabrera. The trap is run off the mains (although I do have access to a generator out there through a project I'm involved with) so there is a building (used part for research and part for school groups) just off to the right. I've attached three more views, another of the trap in situ, one of the area it overlooks and an unexpected arrival (although I knew they were in the area).
Martin

Attachments

• 12 Binifaldo trap 2.JPG
    12 Binifaldo trap 2.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 93
  • 13 Binifaldo trap overlook.JPG
    13 Binifaldo trap overlook.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 67
  • 16 Antherea pernyi.JPG
    16 Antherea pernyi.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 94
This is mine, stuck behind the shed and next door's garage to minimise nuisance to the neighbours, not that they've ever complained. I sit on the bench in the morning as I sort through the trap and I find plenty of moths behind it as well. Things like Toadflax Brocade that never actually go into the trap will often be found between the slats of the fence. I don't use a sheet as I've never found a really secure way to attach it to the fence and if I put it on the decking under the trap the local foxes crap on it. I also have to brush away all the spider's webs from the fence, bench, shed etc. before putting the trap out.

Attachments

• DSCN1578 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN1578 (1024x768).jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 91
We are new to mothing but are addicted! We set our trap in our 'summer house' or now 'the moth shed, as it has become and it has never had so much use! This not only shields some of the light from the neighbours but also catches lots of moths that never quite reach the trap.

In the morning we have a couple of chairs, space for coffee and we are off trying to ID the nights catch!

Attachments

• IMG_4405.jpg
    IMG_4405.jpg
    970.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4406.jpg
    IMG_4406.jpg
    644 KB · Views: 82
You could try a black light?

Andy

Andy, can you expand on this please. I use a 2 x 30w Actinic as my garden is surrounded, there is no way I could use an MV. Is a 'black' lamp an in between solution? I'm relatively new to mothing so know little beyond my own set up from ALS.

We have houses on 2 sides, close and the others which back on are some distance.

Apologies for going of subject to MSA.

Thanks

Phil

Last edited:
Black light is basically ultraviolet, almost invisible to us. Have you seen the nature programmes where they illuminate Scorpions that glow, it's the same as this. They are available and it will; probably change completely the range of moths you catch whilst not bothering the neighbours either.

http://www.leptraps.com/aboutblacklight.htm

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back