• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth trap bulb protection (1 Viewer)

John In Ireland

Ireland
I have just built a skinner moth trap and I am about to buy a Mercury blended bulb. Can one of these bulbs be covered with a large jam jar to protect from the rain? I realise the catch rate will not be as high but will it harm the expensive bulb??? I also understand that these bulbs do not need a ballast starter but a eBay seller tells me they do ?????

Hi John
Dealing with the last part first. A bended bulb is self-ballasted and does not need a separate choke. There are two filaments, a uv emitter and a tungsten filament, which acts as the choke/ballast.
Please do not cover the bulb with a jam jar. The bulb should be provided with a good perspex rain shield (see any mv trap illustrated on the web). I also prefer a 'belt and braces' approach so will also use an inverted Pyrex beaker or the Pyrex 'glass' part of a large cafetiere. It should be well supperted so as not to tilt over and be large enough to not touch the bulb.
This should give adequate protection for all but torrential rain. Also try to avoid wet windy nights.
It is a good idea to add a circuit breaker and/or a surge protector to the electrics.
Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back