• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

November Moths (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

I did not run last night but whilst sitting and waiting on the rising tide this morning on my patch, a male Large Wainscot flew out of the saltmarsh and plunged into the vegetation next to me. A surprise!

All the best

Tonight...ran the UV till 11pm and found : 5 Red Green Carpets on the White wall and white parasol....but nowt in the trap....will have to consider calling it a year soon, anybody else doing the same?

Cheers

You might have switched off too early as I had 17spp. here in Surrey last night. No rarities but a very early Common Quaker was a nice surprise.
Richard

There are still plenty of species about and migrants are being caught along the south coast. A few late fliers emerging soon as well such as Plumed Prominent.

I ran til 2200 and only got 1 LBAM, 1 Common Marbled Carpet and 1 Brick.

I ran a trap recently (well, it was run for me). 31 specimens of 10 species:
3 Noctua pronuba
15 Tachystola acroxantha (of varying sizes!)
1 Rhizedra lutosa
1 (possible) Blastobasis lacticolella
1 Agrochola circellaris
1 Xanthia aurago
1 Xanthia icteritia
4 Phylonorycter messaniella
1 Hypsopygiaa glaucinalis
1 Epirrita sp (2B determined)
I will continue to run the trap on suitably mild nights right through the winter.
Martin

Left the trap running tonight...with a parasol over my single UV 15w...around the trap on the wall and Windows: 3 Feathered Thorns, 2 Brimstone moths, Pine Grey Carpet, 2 Red Green Carpet, a Willow Beauty, and an early (evening) Barred Sallow...praps I'll take a leaf out of Martin's book and "Carry-on Trapping".

Streak was new for garden last night - I'll be trapping throughout the winter on suitable nights

2 years ago I caught Exapate congelatella in my garden which was believed to be extinct in Kent, so it's worth carrying on - you never know what you might find!

Regards

James

Here's my notebook for the last week or so, slim pickings to say the least. 8 moths last night was the highest total since 9th October, just 3 species though and 6 of them were Ephiphyas postvittana. After a really good summer it's been an awful autumn for me.

Attachments

• DSCN1906.JPG
    DSCN1906.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 82
One stunner from last night Mottled Umber, which brings me up to 8 species not counting the sp in Moth ID.

Attachments

• P1170784 (2) Grdn.Mottled Umber.jpg
    P1170784 (2) Grdn.Mottled Umber.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 86
14 sp. last night here. Mostly standard fare except for my earliest ever Pale Brindled Beauty. Haven't seen one before late December before.

December Moth now on the wing for me but not much else this week - singles of Light Brown Apple Moth, Emmelina monodatcyla & Feathered Thorn - and one very worn noctuid that may once have been a Beaded Chestnut when it had scales.

All the best

The specimen was exhibited at today's BENHS Annual Exhibition.
All the best
Hi Paul
I was abroad so missed the exhibition. Was there any other detail about its discovery, or will we have to wait until the Rec is out or Atropos?
If it's of interest I caught no Hypena lividalis during my November trip (8-23rd) but did catch three in the same place (Mallorca) in late September-early October.
Best wishes
Martin

December Moth was a lifer for me last night, with 2 in the trap - the 250th macro for my garden, in exactly two years here - also single LBAM, Spruce and Grey Pine Carpet.

Hi Paul
I was abroad so missed the exhibition. Was there any other detail about its discovery, or will we have to wait until the Rec is out or Atropos?
If it's of interest I caught no Hypena lividalis during my November trip (8-23rd) but did catch three in the same place (Mallorca) in late September-early October.
Best wishes
Martin

Martin

I don't recall how it was labelled. I believe that it is being written up in the Ent. Rec. imminently with a number of other additions. However, by some good fortune (as I was less than ten miles away from it), things fell into place and I confess to twitching it before it was pinned. It was caught in a garden trap south of the river east of Woolwich I believe. First macro tick of the year for me!

Paronix atripalpella also exhibited from Dungeness - Mark Hammond & Keith Tailby. When I was at Dungeness for the Acadian Flycatcher, that news prompted me to suggest to Sean Clancy that he get some of the paronix from his collection gendetted......

All the best

Last edited:
Hi Paul
Thanks. Not bad getting a macro tick that's also new to Britain!
I bet Sean might have been a little peeved, missing out on a species new to Britain - and from his own patch!
Martin

Hi Paul
Thanks. Not bad getting a macro tick that's also new to Britain!
I bet Sean might have been a little peeved, missing out on a species new to Britain - and from his own patch!
Martin

He is happier now he has his gendet results back.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back