• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth the size of a Rat! (1 Viewer)

Hi Andy
Firstly a correction. It's not a Hawkmoth but a female cossid, probably a Xyleutes species, perhaps Dom can say which. They are big and made to look even bigger by filming it in small hands. The larvae, of course, are even bigger still - which is why they are eaten.
As for size, it depends on your definition of big. Largest wingspan? Largest wing surface area? Heaviest?
Certainly the moth shown would fit into the latter category. As for the first, I still say that Ascalapha odorata, the White Witch, takes some beating at just under 12in wingspan. The next would have to be the female of a Rothschildia species or Atacus atlas.
Martin
ps being that heavy the females are supposed to be poor fliers but it looks to have just emerhed from the pupa. After they've mated and laid some of the egg compliment I suppose they fly better (like our 5-spot Burnets, etc.)

Last edited:
I agree that could contend for the heaviest category, though it still looks like it has recently emerged, which means the abdomen is heavier than usual.

This video has done the rounds on several moth FB groups, I have not seen this species but I think that this was ID'd as X.cinera. As to what is the largest moth, in Australian context it is definitely Hercules Moth (Coscinocera hercules - Saturnidae) which is also frequently quoted as being the largest moth in the world from a wingspan perspective. It is certainly a massive beast and one that I do see occasionally in my garden - seeing a moth that is double the size of some of the bats that are attracted to my light is quite an experience. Only managed to photograph one rather battered individual

Attachments

• hercules moth etty bay 21 9 14 (3)comp.jpg
    hercules moth etty bay 21 9 14 (3)comp.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 149
Hi Dom
I don't think it can be Xyleutes cinereus, Boisduval's Carpenter moth, as that is a plain greyish-brown moth - still a big moth though.
The female Hercules moth is certainly the moth with the largest wing surface area of any currently known moth at around 300 square centimetres but just fails on wingspan at 27cms. The White Witch (Thysania agrippina) has been measured at 30cms, just under 12in.
Regardless of that, a fantastic moth to have on your garden list!
Best wishes
Martin

Hi Dom
I don't think it can be Xyleutes cinereus, Boisduval's Carpenter moth, as that is a plain greyish-brown moth - still a big moth though.
The female Hercules moth is certainly the moth with the largest wing surface area of any currently known moth at around 300 square centimetres but just fails on wingspan at 27cms. The White Witch (Thysania agrippina) has been measured at 30cms, just under 12in.
Regardless of that, a fantastic moth to have on your garden list!
Best wishes
Martin
Hi Martin
You are absolutely right - I miss understood what I was told, it was ID'd as a giant wood moth and I took that literally and found the species called "Giant Wood Moth - cinereus" rather than what I now suspect was meant it was a giant species of wood moth...either way what a beast, would love to catch one!
The White Witch (having googled it) looks stunning

Last edited:
Aah, the perennial problem of capitalisation (your "giant wood moth" [a general description] versus the "Giant Wood Moth" [the name of a particular species] and our "small blue butterfly" versus the "Small Blue"). Unfortunately, it's an issue I have with many publications, including some scientific journals.
Yes, it is stunning. I've never seen one alive but I had an uncle who did - flying up a track towards him. He ducked!
Best wishes
Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back