• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jersey Tiger Moth (Hampshire Rarity) (1 Viewer)

Sam_Bradders

Kingfisher Fanatic
So last September, I've started to use moth traps for the first time. Bearing in mind this is the first time I used one, I didn't expect that such an exotic and strange looking moth on my first ever attempt at using one of these.

Apparently these are quite rare in the UK (Hampshire and Isle of Wight in particular) and from various people who told me, an average of 5 - 7 specimens overshoot their migration path from Jersey to Isle of Wight each year. But there was an influx last year as there were several reports in the south of England from what I have been told by mothers. If anyone knows any updated statistics of this species could you please let me know? That'd be great!

I've attached a picture of the one I caught. It may be an old one as a little part of it's orange wing is missing, but it was flying okay and flew away the next morning as normal.

Attachments

• 1658638_10153376170431387_3842483232134651106_o.jpg
    1658638_10153376170431387_3842483232134651106_o.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 90
I know a few people who say they see them regularly during the day on the coastline of Hampshire. Of course, they are never around when I want to see one.

Hi Sam,
They’re now quite well established/resident in the south, south west, I.O.W. and around the London area. Migrants are still quite rare and can arrive anywhere along the south coast. Here’s a link to a distribution map which may be a bit out of date as I believe the range is still expanding: http://www.ukmoths.org.uk/species/euplagia-quadripunctaria/distribution-map
Richard

Oh wow! their range has increased even more than I expected. I tried finding statistics and analysis but haven't had much luck until now. Big thanks for finding this! That's great to see that they're doing really well now. NBN Gateway's an excellent site. I use it a lot for species research. Fingers crossed we'll see a further distribution and find new areas where new populations are appearing.

Hi Sam,

There were 158 reported sightings in Hampshire in 2013.

Dave W

Thank you for the statistics Dave. That's also good to know that there are on the increase even though it's a small figure at the moment. Fingers crossed this'll increase and not decrease.

I know a few people who say they see them regularly during the day on the coastline of Hampshire. Of course, they are never around when I want to see one.

This one is the first one I've even seen in my life, so I'm positive that it was a migrant specimen. I've seen loads of Garden Tigers and the occasional Scarlet Tiger however. Though keep looking! I'm sure you'll come across one soon! It's like all the others have stated. The south coast is probably your best best and perhaps the other areas which have shown new populations. They sometimes fly at night as well, so a moth trap of some sorts might be a good chance to see if one does come and visit!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back