• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

February 2016 moths - Great Britain & Ireland (1 Viewer)

smokenack

First night's trapping for 2016 last night brought 3 Ephiphyas postvittana, 2 Common Quaker, 3 Amblyptilia acanthadactyla and 1 Double-striped Pug.

My best February night ever |=)|

LBAM plus a few potted for later, in fridge for now, nice to get a multiple catch rather than 0 or 1! Now checked - 2 Chestnut, a Dark Chestnut and a Common Quaker.

Just out of interest, I try to put the trap out whenever the weather looks vaguely suitable, but often need to go off to work before light so I'll pot up just about everything for a proper look when I get home. It's all a bit of a rush though. What do others do?

Last edited:
Just out of interest, I try to put the trap out whenever the weather looks vaguely suitable, but often need to go off to work before light so I'll pot up just about everything for a proper look when I get home. It's all a bit of a rush though. What do others do?
Hi
I would pot up anything around or on the trap then securely plug the trap with tissue or cloth so that nothing can escape, then put the whole thing in a cool shady place until you have time to look at it.
Martin

OK - not Great Britain & Ireland but my first Hawkmoths of the year were good numbers of apparent Striped Hawkmoth nectaring by day in the Ouswerd road area of Western Sahara. Other species seen including larger apparently dark hawkmoths but no trap or lights. The trip wasn't really planned with precision and the proliferation of moths were a surprise!

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Striped Hawkmoth type.jpg
    Striped Hawkmoth type.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 107
A bit closer to home I came across agonopterix heracliana in a hide at Titchfield Haven. When I checked my records I was surprised to find it was a new moth for me, especially as it is described as being abundant in the UK.

Dave W

Had what I took to be a Double-striped Pug flying inside the house the other day - it flew to the window so let it go.

OK - not Great Britain & Ireland but my first Hawkmoths of the year were good numbers of apparent Striped Hawkmoth nectaring by day in the Ouswerd road area of Western Sahara. Other species seen including larger apparently dark hawkmoths but no trap or lights. The trip wasn't really planned with precision and the proliferation of moths were a surprise!

All the best

Paul

To do with the proliferation on plants/flowers at this time perhaps? When we were there some years back think it was a lot drier (and don't recall any moth spectacle either).

To do with the proliferation on plants/flowers at this time perhaps? When we were there some years back think it was a lot drier (and don't recall any moth spectacle either).

We did get a Striped Hawkmoth though, at Khnifiss IIRC.

Attachments

• StripedHawkMoth0429.jpg
    StripedHawkMoth0429.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 103
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back