• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diamond-back Moths (1 Viewer)

smokenack

How long do they live? My garden's still full of fresh looking individuals. I suppose that we can expect a bumper 2nd brood later in the summer, I won't bother with too many brassicas on the allotment this year 😁

About 15 days at 25c apparently so probably a lot less over here... Had 50 plus in the garden and I'm 8 miles from the coast...

Apparently someone in Stafford reported approx 2500 Diamond Back Moth to 125w MV Robinson trap and approx. another 1000 to 30w Synergetic Skinner in their garden - and you can't get much further from the sea than that!
There must be millions here.
Martin

Even before turning the trap light on I counted at least 50 in my garden yesterday. There's nothing special about my garden, just a normal small urban space with a few shrubs. There are c.100 gardens in my street giving c.5000 moths in my street. There's roughly 700 streets in Southend giving 3,500,000 in Southend alone. A very conservative estimate I should think, I'm seeing them everywhere. Must be billions in the country at the moment.

I am getting them here in Gloucestershire (9 miles south of Gloucester) 120+ the night before last and about 65 last night... I am sure this is an underestimate as they were very active.

100+ in the trap early this morning and very lively! Most dispersed very quickly as I checked the trap.

They seemed to pass through here on the Lizard in one big wave on Monday. Started the morning with just a few around, by the afternoon there were hundreds and by evening there were thousands. Walking round the fields I was flushing a dozen or so from every metre square, and I've got 10 acres here about a mile from the coast. There were about 250 in/on the trap in the morning, but they were dispersing rapidly and had plenty of daylight to leave before I got there. Also 7 silver y and a dark sword grass in the trap.

By Tues afternoon most had gone, still plenty compared to normal but only about 10% of peak numbers.

A few painted lady about on Tuesday and noticeably more on Wednesday when seen arriving over the sea from east.

Last edited:
On a walk last night I went 0.4mile along the edge of a crop field - rape seed crop on one side and long grass on the other. In that distance I saw 8000+ just on and by the pathway, it makes me wonder just how many there would have been in the whole field.

What's their usual status here? I'm not a moth person but after seeing so many comments about these from moth-cathcing Twitterati I figured the tiny moths that were everywhere when I was out the other night were this sp. I caught one and indeed it was. I guess the number in the country right now must be in the hundreds of millions, or perhaps even into 10 figures (a [US] billion+)

What's their usual status here? I'm not a moth person but after seeing so many comments about these from moth-cathcing Twitterati I figured the tiny moths that were everywhere when I was out the other night were this sp. I caught one and indeed it was. I guess the number in the country right now must be in the hundreds of millions, or perhaps even into 10 figures (a [US] billion+)

As mentioned those kind of numbers could have consequences on certain plants/crops.

It might be interesting to calculate their total biomass and work if it it exceeds, say, the biomass of all the hipsters in the UK, or other higher level predators, and the relative damage they could cause.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back