• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July Moths GB&I (1 Viewer)

I've recently read elsewhere that in obviella the pale dorsal stripe stops at the fringe and in crocicapitella it extends into the fringe. I've no idea how true this is I've always used the diagnostic features Martin outlined above.

It's certainly shown that way in Sterling & Parsons (but they don't mention it as a feature), but it wouldn't help here, or in the majority of specimens that I see, as the fringe is usually worn away.
Something to look at if I ever get a fresh specimen.
Thanks for that.
Martin

I reckon that that would make these two from 5th June and 3rd July obviella. I recorded them as crocicapitella |:S|

Attachments

• DSCN3184 (2).JPG
    DSCN3184 (2).JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN3655 (2).JPG
    DSCN3655 (2).JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 71
Hi
No Monopis last night but did get a new tineid for the site, Tinea semifulvella.
75 species in total, some of which are still to identify and, as just mentioned on the moth id forum, the most numerous was the aquatic crambid Acentria ephemerella, with 165 specimens.
Martin

The annual Bird Cherry Ermine invasion is in full swing, 195 last night. I think they come from our local cemetery about half amile away where there is a huge population, trees and grave stones covered in webbing.

76 species a couple of nights ago was my best night ever.

Plumed Fan-foots still nightly and for the first time two last night actually in the trap. I've only had singletons before and very rarely inside the trap. I wondr where the local population is, I presume these haven't wandered far.

Plumed Fan-foots still nightly and for the first time two last night actually in the trap. I've only had singletons before and very rarely inside the trap. I wondr where the local population is, I presume these haven't wandered far.
Hi
I think the available information on the Plumed Fan-foot is in need of up-dating.
ukmoths and hants moths state that it is "A rare migrant, mainly to the south-east coast of England, with less than a dozen records since the first in 1995".
Whilst it'is migrant status is probably correct, it is also certainly well established in the UK - in Essex, N. Kent and in London (at least). I get it at two sites (S. Kensington [since 2009] and Barnes [since 2015]) and I know it is frequently trapped at a site in Westminster and a couple more sites in central London.
I expect you are near one of the population centres so I would regard them as a local resident.
Martin

Hi
I think the available information on the Plumed Fan-foot is in need of up-dating.
ukmoths and hants moths state that it is "A rare migrant, mainly to the south-east coast of England, with less than a dozen records since the first in 1995".
Whilst it'is migrant status is probably correct, it is also certainly well established in the UK - in Essex, N. Kent and in London (at least). I get it at two sites (S. Kensington [since 2009] and Barnes [since 2015]) and I know it is frequently trapped at a site in Westminster and a couple more sites in central London.
I expect you are near one of the population centres so I would regard them as a local resident.
Martin

I've had 15 records, 1 in 2014, 5 in 2015 and 9 so far this year. Generally late June to late July with one record in September last year.

I've had 15 records, 1 in 2014, 5 in 2015 and 9 so far this year. Generally late June to late July with one record in September last year.
I've done a bit of searching and, not including totals from areas where I know it is established, I've come up with 53 records. Way more than less than a dozen, as stated. It will be interesting to see what the final figure will be, once I've been through all the 'migrant' reports, etc.
Martin

Am now turning the trap light off at midnight (NE.London)...as I'm finding the resulting ''slaughter'' in the morning by the resident Robin to be too much!

Although there is a substantial drop in species, there are still a few gems to be found during the course of the evening.

This is the third example that I've had within the last few years, I presume that they are on the increase?

cheers

Attachments

• P1330530.jpeg   Waved Black.jpg
    P1330530.jpeg Waved Black.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 45
Had a pleasant afternoon at Pagham Harbour yesterday with the RSPB staff happy to show us Latin and catoptria verellus, which had been trapped the night before.

Last night evergestis limbata was NFG.

Dave W

I've done a bit of searching and, not including totals from areas where I know it is established, I've come up with 53 records. Way more than less than a dozen, as stated. It will be interesting to see what the final figure will be, once I've been through all the 'migrant' reports, etc.
Martin

They are still coming, 3 last night including one dead in a spider's web.

My trap results this year have been largely forgettable but last night produced two new species for my garden - Double Lobed and July Highflyer.

Last Tuesday (12th) my trap sadly attracted and killed c130 Water Veneers, despite being well away from any water.

Steve

Last Tuesday (12th) my trap sadly attracted and killed c130 Water Veneers, despite being well away from any water.
Steve
Hi Steve
This isn't being callous but please don't blame yourself, or your trap, as they would have died anyway. They have an unusual life-history and the adults live for, at most, two days. After mating, each female lays between 100-300 eggs, a huge number for such a relatively small moth. Given that the moth's life history is almost totally aquatic, I've never read an explanation of what you have observed - large numbers of moths so far from any water. Only a few winged females are produced, so I imagine that most males stay close to the water where they emerged in order to mate with the wingless females. These winged specimens must be dispersing in order to find new habitat.
If anyone's ever read more on this I'd be interested to hear.
Martin

Possibly a result of predation leading to an imbalance of the sex ratio and therefore the wanderlust (literally) of the winged males in the absence of unmated local wingless females??

Experimental evidence for a strong influence of stickleback predation on the population dynamics and sex ratio of an aquatic moth
Full-text Article · Dec 2008 · Fundamental and Applied Limnology / Archiv für Hydrobiologie Oliver Miler Michael Korn Dietmar Straile

In my trap, a Garden Tiger was pleasing this morning and a friend's Small Ranunculus cements its ongoing local status.

All the best

Hummingbird Hawkmoth in my garden this afternoon. Quite a few Tree Lichen Beauties in a trap not far from home last night.

Having only started trapping in my own garden last moths I have had quite a few new species in July. Highlights for me have been large emerald, nut tree tussock, leopard moth, magpie moth, drinker and coronet. Away from home I have also had my first antler moths which are real stunners.

About 20 miles from me another local mother had a surprise in their trap on Sunday morning in the shape of Microloxia herbaria. Seems to be the first UK record.

About 20 miles from me another local mother had a surprise in their trap on Sunday morning in the shape of Microloxia herbaria. Seems to be the first UK record.

Now that is a surprise as it has a very southern distribution and mainly coastal round the Med. (I get it in Mallorca), a liitle more inland in eastern Europe.
Not a species I would associate with lorg distance migration.
When I search for it on Google I get an Atropos Guestbook link - but it's not there on the web page.
Martin

Last edited:
Now that is a surprise as it has a very southern distribution and mainly coastal round the Med. (I get it in Mallorca), a liitle more inland in eastern Europe.
Not a species I would associate with lorg distance migration.
When I search for it on Google I get an Atropos Guestbook link - but it's not there on the web page.
Martin

I didn't see it myself and the finders photos are only on a closed FB page as far as I know. Here is a link to a photo on Twitter - https://mobile.twitter.com/JLowenWildlife/status/757500676658331650 It was retained and is heading to the county recorder for verification.

Also in county at the weekend were two records of Metalampra italica not sure how relevant movement of one woud be to the other.

It certainly looks good for herbaria.
M. italica might be expected as it could be 'home grown' and has been recorded recently in a number of counties in the S and SE of the UK.
Martin

Hi everyone, I had a few good new moths over the weekend in SW London, including a Gypsy Moth (dark form). I did a bit of research and started thinking I'd found something unusual, then read online that a population now exists in London and it's trapped regularly. Does anyone know anymore about this increase in records?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back