• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Knot Grass x 2?? (1 Viewer)

black52bird

Friends

Last night I caught 2 apparently different Noctuids.

The first seems to be a fairly definite Knot Grass. Wing length 16mm [See pics 1 and 2], though I'd welcome confirmation (or refusal!!), of course

The other is darker, less well-marked, but still with the white "commas" on the trailing edges of the wings..and the wing length is 18mm - it's just a 'bigger' moth in general. [See pics 3 and 4] Do you think it's just a differently marked Knot Grass?

Any thoughts by those who know the species would be welcome (it's only my second..and possibly third!!).

I also enclose a nice pic of Dewick's Plusia, which is relatively common here, but is 2 weeks earlier this year than in 2005 and 2006. [Pic 5]

Best

David

Attachments

• 070415 Knot Grass 08.JPG
    070415 Knot Grass 08.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 070415 Knot Grass 09.JPG
    070415 Knot Grass 09.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 83
  • 070415 Noctuid 04.JPG
    070415 Noctuid 04.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 070415 Noctuid 05.JPG
    070415 Noctuid 05.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 070415 Dewick's Plusia 09.JPG
    070415 Dewick's Plusia 09.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 83
I'm not too sure cos I haven't seen them this dark but I would have said that they were both Poplar Greys (Acronicta megacephala).

Nice Dewick's Plusia - I'm yet to see them in Britain.

PaulK said:
I'm not too sure cos I haven't seen them this dark but I would have said that they were both Poplar Greys (Acronicta megacephala).

Nice Dewick's Plusia - I'm yet to see them in Britain.

Paul,

Thanks for this comment. I had looked at Polar Grey, but had ruled it out because both of these specimens have the white 'comma' mark along the trailing edge, which I believe is supposed to distinguish Knot Grass from Poplar Grey. I'll have another look.

Best

David

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back