• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orange Underwing (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
I've been extensively searching a local wood for Light Orange Underwing this year without any success. However there is birch around as well as aspen and yesterday this Orange Underwing settled nicely giving me my first crack at photographing the species. I've seen these in many locations with decent amounts of birch both around here in Cambs/Northants and last week in Speyside.

Look out for something a bit like a Small Copper butterfly flitting around birches, often high up.

Attachments

• orange_underwing_16apr07_420l_20.jpg
    orange_underwing_16apr07_420l_20.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 118
Light Copper Underwing (?)

Having been tipped off on a location for Light Orange Underwing in Worcs, I managed to digiscope what I am pretty sure is one on aspen. It appeared to be a female laying eggs along the branch high up. Elsewhere in the wood I saw warmer coloured Orange Underwing in flight around the birches but sadly none settled to let me photograph them.

W.

Attachments

• DSCN6533s.jpg
    DSCN6533s.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back