• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox BL BR success (1 Viewer)

barry robson

Congratulations to Minox with the excellent review of their 8x42 BL/BR in the latest Bird Watching survey, coming joint first alongside a slightly more expensive Nikon Monarch (+£21) and a hugely more expensive (+£150!) RSPB High Grade. It goes to show what great value these bins are.

B

I have a pair of these and I do love them, great optics and ergonomics and when I leave them on the roof of my car and drive off they are cheap enough to replace unlike the Leica's! :t:

As soon as I can get my hands on a copy I'll stick it on the Newpro website but as I'm away in Perth (Scotland, sadly not Western Australia!) from tonight until Tuesday morning it may have to wait a few days.

Thanks Barry for the heads up anyway!! We were wondering how we did...
B :) B :) :t:

Dave

I got a pair of the 10x42 bl's as an early birthday present from my wife and i must say they are an excellent pair of bins. would highly recommend them.

I recently had the opportunity to compare the 8x32 BL BRs with the 8x36 Nikons and I must say they appear to be practically the same bin. Overall size, shape, housing, etc.. appear identical. The only difference physically seems to be the larger objective size of the Monarchs. Ofcourse, that also corresponds with the slightly smaller field of view. Beyond that optically I noted somewhat more vivid colors and better contrast in the Monarch most likely the result of the coatings utilized. However, the Minox seemed to have slightly less edge distortion and the image snapped in and out of focus just a bit better.

As I said in another post when comparing the two side by side it seemed to be more of a comparison between a 32 mm and a 36 mm rather than one for a Nikon versus a Minox.

As soon as I can get my hands on a copy I'll stick it on the Newpro website but as I'm away in Perth (Scotland, sadly not Western Australia!) from tonight until Tuesday morning it may have to wait a few days.

Thanks Barry for the heads up anyway!! We were wondering how we did...
B :) B :) :t:

Dave

I'm assuming it was you who sold me the 8x42's at the game fair today - if so, a big thank you! Tried them out tonight (look at the tayside birding local patch thread) and i love them!
These really are great optics

Hi all,

sorry it's taken so long, but the comparison review is now on the Minox / Newpro website.

We've had to squash it a bit to get the comments & results table all on one page but it is still readable if you print the page out to make it easier.

Hi Llendorin, yes it would have been me in the mud that was the Scone Palace Game Fair! Glad you are enjoying your purchase!

ATB,

Dave.
B :)

Is the photo in the review really the BL 8x42 BR? The focus wheel looks different than the ones I have seen here in the US.

Yes, they changed the focus wheel a few months ago to match the new 8x56 & 13x56 BL Observation range which has an 'infinity' mark on the focus wheel which can be finger-felt so you know you are at or certainly near infinity.

HTH,

Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back