• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID Question (1 Viewer)

mpmondville

A friend of mine gave me this photo and asked if I knew what type of bird it is. Since she has not been out of the US lately I think she took this herself at the zoo. I know it is not a North American species. Any idea, i would like to impress her.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC00587.JPG
    DSC00587.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 121
Hi mpmondville

Your bird is a Silver-eared Mesia, Mesia argentauris. It's also called Silver-eared Leiothrix or just Silver-ear. This species lives in Asia, from the Himalayas over Indochina and the Malay Peninsula to Indonesia. As it's a very colourful species it's also a common cagebird in Asia and all over the world.

Greetings from Switzerland and good luck with the impressing

André

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back