• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why the plummeting prices? (1 Viewer)

I just ordered a pair of Minox 62170 BD 10x42 BR's for $250 USD brand-new. These originally retailed for around $600 USD I think.
I know they're a discontinued model but still whats the reason for them being so cheap? Is there anything wrong with them?
They're replacing my Monarch ATB 10x42's which also cost me $250 brand-new. I hope the Minox's will be a signifigant upgrade.

I'd call it competition. When things don't sell well you discount them until they start moving. Could be the economy also.

Nobody has been able to figure out where Minox has their binoculars made AFAIK. The model you are inquiring about appears to be discontinued. It is also being sold at a large discount at Camera Land NY.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62123

It's a real good buy at that price, with it's aspheric technology. I'd guess it is made in Japan. I have a BD10 x 32BR Asph and it is pretty good.

Bob

Nobody has been able to figure out where Minox has their binoculars made AFAIK. The model you are inquiring about appears to be discontinued. It is also being sold at a large discount at Camera Land NY.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62123

It's a real good buy at that price, with it's aspheric technology. I'd guess it is made in Japan. I have a BD10 x 32BR Asph and it is pretty good.

Bob

The one I picked up is actually a slightly newer model and was $50 cheaper.
It should be showing up on Friday.
Gonna take it out glassing for deer on Saturday. Can't wait.

I recently looked at the BD 10x42 and they have a very small sticker that, if I recall correctly, said they were made in China, not Japan. A nice bin, by the way, very compact but solid heft. The extra weight may steady them.

Of course I put them up against a Pentax 8x32 ED, and then an 8x32 SE and frankly I didn't see any advantage to the 10x in that comparison.

Minox has revamped nearly the whole line this Fall, with expanded FOV's on the HG's, brand new BL's, etc. Could be serious contenders now.

I've always thought the Minox bins looked great, understated and serious, and those BD's are no exception.

I recently looked at the BD 10x42 and they have a very small sticker that, if I recall correctly, said they were made in China, not Japan. A nice bin, by the way, very compact but solid heft. The extra weight may steady them.

Of course I put them up against a Pentax 8x32 ED, and then an 8x32 SE and frankly I didn't see any advantage to the 10x in that comparison.

Minox has revamped nearly the whole line this Fall, with expanded FOV's on the HG's, brand new BL's, etc. Could be serious contenders now.

I've always thought the Minox bins looked great, understated and serious, and those BD's are no exception.

Thanks for the info.
I was hoping they were made in Japan but for $250 I guess I can't expect that much. However for that price I'm expecting to get a nice upgrade from my Nikons so I think I'll make out OK in the end.

Thanks for the info.
I was hoping they were made in Japan but for $250 I guess I can't expect that much. However for that price I'm expecting to get a nice upgrade from my Nikons so I think I'll make out OK in the end.

I am pretty sure they are made in Japan,I remember the sticker in the body,but I think it said japan,also the box ,may have information on the origen of the binos,dont remember...I used to own the BD 8x32,personally didnt like them that much,due to ergonomics,armor smell (bad)and excessive glare,..but the image is bright and sharp,and the unit feels very well made.
I am very sensitive to smells,and glare,.But most reviewers like the BD a lot,.They probably will do an excellent job

I figured for the money I couldn't go wrong.
Like I said I'm upgrading from Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42's which cost me $200 (after the rebate) and the Minox's were only $250 shipped so what the heck.
I originally upgraded my Monarchs (last week) with some Monarch X 10.5x45's that I got off ebay for $485 shipped (another steal) but when I received them I discovered they don't have a screw-in spot on the front for a tripod so that was a real deal breaker for me.
Nothing seems to really be right with those Monarch X's... they have the dielectric coating like the EDG bins but Nikon put that bar down the middle of them that basically kills the bridgeless design. They don't have a tripod mount (Nikon suggested buying their universal mount that uses velcro...) and they typically sell for $600 so nothing seems to be adding up with those. And they're made in China.
Not that theres anything wrong with that its just I miss seeing "Made in Japan" on Nikon's focusing knobs and for that price you think they'd have it.

You know, these seemed like such an "interesting" deal I ordered a pair from Eagle Optics myself. $249 definitely puts them in value range of the Chinese imports like Vortex and Zen Ray and I'll take the German/Leica pedigree anyday over those even if they are Made in Kunming. Never really followed Minox much but they do have relatively lightweight, ergonomically friendly designs. Just hope they do turn out to be the latest/greatest #62170!

cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
You know, these seemed like such an "interesting" deal I ordered a pair from Eagle Optics myself. $249 definitely puts them in value range of the Chinese imports like Vortex and Zen Ray and I'll take the German/Leica pedigree anyday over those even it they are Made in Kunming. Never really followed Minox much but they do have relatively lightweight, ergonomically friendly designs. Just hope they do turn out to be the latest/greatest #62170!

cheers,
Rick

I was concerned about the exact model too because on the website they list it as the 62170 and the photo is also the 62170 but the name "Minox BD 10x42 BR ALT" and the product specs like weight, dimensions etc. are actually for the 62123 which is the older model.
Don't fear tho I called them up yesterday and got the customer service person to fetch the box and he confirmed the product code on it was 62170 :t:
Update: Looks like they're now sold out!

Woke up to the FEDEX shipping notice so I know I got mine! Should be delivered Friday to my US address then forwarded on to me.

Wonder if it was their last one? It was after midnight here in Tokyo when I impulsively pulled the trigger after doing only about 30min of due diligence. Went to bed right afterwards. Thanks for checking it out!

cheers,
Rick

Update: Looks like they're now sold out!

I've been debating all day today whether to get the BD 10x42 or not. They seem a good value, but should I spend the money when I'm saving up for water-proof bins that rivals the image of the SE's? Now I don't have the problem. ;) But please do let us know how you like them BD's when you get them! B :)

Ning

Theres still a few places to get them for $300 I think..
but sure, I will let you know how they are when I get them.
I'm no glass expert tho but I will be looking for whitetail with them on Saturday and will tell you guys how they work compared to my ATB's.

I just looked over my Minox BD 10 x 32 BR's and the box they came in and the papers enclosed. There is no hint of where they were manufactured. The only address on the box is Wetzlar, Germany.
Bob

I would still bet they are made in SE Asia. If they were made in Japan or Germany they would have a label somewhere. No matter to me. All my electronics and camera gear is made there too and no one squeals about that!

But that does not mean I am brand ambivalent either. Brand name products hold their resale prices over non-brands even if the non-brands are superior values. Learned that brand "value" lesson shortly after moving here to the Big Mikan where brands are big biz.

Anyway, all the aspheric lens bino's I've looked through seem have fairly decent edge performance IF they can control the field curvature. If these can, I'd be thrilled with this "low-rent" Leica Ultravid BL cousin!

cheers,
Rick

I just looked over my Minox BD 10 x 32 BR's and the box they came in and the papers enclosed. There is no hint of where they were manufactured. The only address on the box is Wetzlar, Germany.
Bob

Kind of like my Leupold VX-3 scope..
Its a gold ring so I know its made in the US but there was nothing on the scope or in the paperwork that said MADE IN THE USA beyond the US address on the box. You'd think that'd be something they'd really advertise.
However stating the COO (Country of Origin) is a big deal with goods coming out of Asia because of customs. However domestic brands obviously don't have to worry about stating it if they don't want to and European brands don't seem to advertise their COO much either (might have something to do with trade agreements. From my manufacturing experience China LOVES having their name stamped on goods and its the law anyways).
Also the Minox's are supposed to have a small COO sticker on them anyways so maybe yours fell off?

Last edited:
Theres still a few places to get them for $300 I think..
but sure, I will let you know how they are when I get them.
I'm no glass expert tho but I will be looking for whitetail with them on Saturday and will tell you guys how they work compared to my ATB's.

Spending part of the $300 on some wind-worthy clothes probably will probably help my winter birding much more than a $300 glass. Here's what I've been finding out in the last weeks: you need a lot more insulation if you are mostly standing or sitting still than when you are walking about. ;)

Ning

Yeah thats for sure.
I bought some 400g insulated boots which I've never owned before because I live in Southern Arizona but if you're sitting on your keister just using your binos for a couple hours at a time on cold winter mornings its pretty easy to catch a chill.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back