• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x50 BN questions (1 Viewer)

Omid

United States
Hello all,

I am a long-time fan of high-end binoculars but new to this forum. I was wondering if any one of you guys has used Leica 8x50 BNs. What's you general impression of these? I already own a pair of 12x50 BNs and they are fantastic (super sharp + wide field) . I saw a very good deal on a pair of 8x50 BNs and I am contemplaiting buying them.

Here are some specific questions I have:

1-I know 8x50's appernt field of view (55 degrees or so) is less than those of 12x50 (about 68 degrees). However, I have looked through Swarovski 8x56 SLCs and they don't show any tunnel-effect despite having about 55 dgrees field of view. Is this true about Leica 8x50 BN too? Do they show tunnel-effect?

2-How do 8x50 BNs compare to 8x50 Ultravis optically? Is there any noticable contrast or brightness improvemet in Ultravids?

I would apprecitae any opinions.
Best

2Old2Care said:
Hello all,

I am a long-time fan of high-end binoculars but new to this forum. I was wondering if any one of you guys has used Leica 8x50 BNs. What's you general impression of these? I already own a pair of 12x50 BNs and they are fantastic (super sharp + wide field) . I saw a very good deal on a pair of 8x50 BNs and I am contemplaiting buying them.

Here are some specific questions I have:

1-I know 8x50's appernt field of view (55 degrees or so) is less than those of 12x50 (about 68 degrees). However, I have looked through Swarovski 8x56 SLCs and they don't show any tunnel-effect despite having about 55 dgrees field of view. Is this true about Leica 8x50 BN too? Do they show tunnel-effect?

2-How do 8x50 BNs compare to 8x50 Ultravis optically? Is there any noticable contrast or brightness improvemet in Ultravids?

I would apprecitae any opinions.
Best

Hi,

I have used them and would say no, there was no tunnel effect with them. Very nice bino with more eye relief and sharpness at the edge than other Leica binoculars. In my eyes the 50 series of Leica performs best in respect of CA of all 50 mm aperture binoculars. There is a 8x50 Swarovski SLC too. The 8x50 Ultravid has a little bit more contrast and brightness but you will only notice it when comparing both binos very critical side by side. Best improvement with the Ultravid series is weight reduction IMHO.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back