• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox HG's? (1 Viewer)

barry robson

Browsing through the Minox site I note that the new Minox HG's were reportedly going to be available in April, but it's all gone very quiet…

Anyone seen them or any reviews yet?

B

Hi Barry,

I,ve not seen any reviews yet - just the info on Minox's website.

I have seen them for sale though - ebay Germany.....

10x43 HG are EUR 849
8.5x43 HG are EUR 799
10x52 HG are EUR 899
8.5x52 HG are EUR 859

Cheers,

Mook.

Hi Barry,

Haven't seen anything on UK prices....but EUR 800 is somewhere around £540 - £550 (depending on exchange rate naturally). That's not unreasonable for a top-end model I guess - assuming the optics are of a 'higher grade' than the well received Aspherical models.

We'll have to wait and see - I've tried the new lightweight 8x32 & 8x42 and they were very comfortable....very well priced too. It seems that if you have a budget of around £300 you are really spoilt for choice at the moment.

Cheers,

Mook.

Hi Mook

Yup, you're right - I can't divide 899 by 1.41 which gives me £637 - not bad for a bin that promises to deliver some impressive optics. I use the Minox 10x52BR's at the moment and the downside is the weight. I got to use a pair of Viking Vistron 10x42 the other day and they were like a feather compared to the Minox, though the optical quality was a bit wobbly, but then they are a £150 - a third of the price of mine.

Cheers

B

barry robson said:
Browsing through the Minox site I note that the new Minox HG's were reportedly going to be available in April, but it's all gone very quiet…

Anyone seen them or any reviews yet?

B

I spoke with Minox the other day and they expect to start shipping here in the USA within the next couple of weeks

Did they give you any idea of costs? I'm in USA later this year and IF the price was right and the quality matches the specification…

cheers

B

barry robson said:
Did they give you any idea of costs? I'm in USA later this year and IF the price was right and the quality matches the specification…

cheers

B

The prices are quite favorable. I cannot quote a price in an open forum but please feel free to e-mail me @ [email protected]

Hi all,

Barry, depending on when you're off to the States, you may be able to see them in the UK before you go. |;|

Dave.

Dave,

Can you clarify for us what type of glass will be used, namely will it be a fluorite glass, eg.? Also, has anyone seen them side-by-side with the Leicas, Swaros, etc.?

jrhudgins

Hi JR

I'm looking forward to a review of the new HGs, but I don't understand the point of sticking a £600+ binocular up against bins that cost up to £890+(and more like £1130 if you accept the mrrp in the case of Swaro 10x42 ELs).

While I admit that some of Minox latest offerings (BL 8x32 BR) got excellent reviews (Optical rating 9 in Bird Watching), the reviewer did try them side by side with a 'top end 8x32 and had to admit the top end bins were better, by not by much.
Surely they should really be rated alongside bins in a similar price bracket.

Cheers

B

barry robson said:
Hi JR

I'm looking forward to a review of the new HGs, but I don't understand the point of sticking a £600+ binocular up against bins that cost up to £890+(and more like £1130 if you accept the mrrp in the case of Swaro 10x42 ELs).

While I admit that some of Minox latest offerings (BL 8x32 BR) got excellent reviews (Optical rating 9 in Bird Watching), the reviewer did try them side by side with a 'top end 8x32 and had to admit the top end bins were better, by not by much.
Surely they should really be rated alongside bins in a similar price bracket.

Cheers

B

B,
I think that when a Minox HG is put up against a $1000.00 + Euro it will do quite well at a much lower price

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back