• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (1 Viewer)

Despite the increased resolution, this does look very interesting - the improved weatherproofing and viewfinder stand out as some very useful improvements.

So does this mean the end of the XXD line? Or will they still bring out a 60d at another time? To be honest, I would have really liked to have seen Canon bring out a 10mp APS-C camera - surely with the advances since the 40d, we'd be getting significantly improved ISO performance at this resolution? What's more, the buffer would probably be able to handle a decent number of RAW images. At the moment, it seems to me that they are increasing the resolution and adding some new gimmicks, but things like ISO performance and buffer capacity at this price level are just staying the same.

Phew £1700 body only at warehouse, to much for me, needs to drop down to £1000 before I would consider it, anywhere in the world................Maybe I am going to be waiting along time :C

Phew £1700 body only at warehouse, to much for me, needs to drop down to £1000 before I would consider it, anywhere in the world................Maybe I am going to be waiting along time :C
Better get your cash ready Terry it is not much over £1000 in the states at the current exchange rate. e.g. $1699. ;)

Better get your cash ready Terry it is not much over £1000 in the states at the current exchange rate. e.g. $1699. ;)

Cash is a problem on a pension, as most pensioners know, I just bought the Sigma 10-20 f3.5, so my pockets are empty, can only consider after Easter.

So we might get some good prices from kerso ?

Well im very happy with the spec of this camera and quite sure i will get one to run alongside my MK3 from what im reading it may even beat the mk3 as a birding camera 18mp will give great reach for cropping .
Rob.

So does this mean the end of the XXD line? Or will they still bring out a 60d at another time?

It seems to me that this is filling the gaping chasm that existed, for crop-lovers, between the x0D series and the 1D MkXXX series. With the 50D at £800 and the 1D MkIII at £2700 the 7D fits nicely between them.

If that is the case then it'll be interesting to see what 7D features make it to the 60D. Video is a sure-fire certainty. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was also 18MP. But I reckon it'll use a single Digic processor, which will cap the frame rate at 6fps. And I don't think it'll inherit the 7Ds AF system, staying with the x0D standard of 9 AF points.

Sample images are posted on DPreview for people to judge ISO performance but as all the shots are undoubtedly full frame it doesn't tell us much.

The shock for me is the macro. They've given it L glass and it's priced at a £999!!!

Well thats only 12 months and 6 days 50d to 7d, who said theres no chance of the them bringing out a upgrade to the 50d before Xmas. I think there will be alot of 40d upgrades coming, does that mean a bigger raw files maybe 25mp, and full HD video, of cause all of those that don't want video wont be buying it :-C, at the moment I wont be upgrading, will wait till it drops in price and buy off cheapest supplier around the world, so that will be around easter maybe, plenty of reviews out by than, I can see I will have to sell some model trains to pay for it :C. Roy that will go very well with your 300 f2.8 I can hear the money jiggling in your pocket :-O

Ah but Terry this isn't an upgrade to the 50D, it's filling a gap in Canon's lineup just as hollis_f said. I think it'll still be a while yet before the 50D is replaced.

Just to add one more thing. It seems my worst fears are coming true. Every DSLR released from now until doomsday will have HD movie mode. Would the camera still be priced the same if it didn't have it?

Ah but Terry this isn't an upgrade to the 50D, it's filling a gap in Canon's lineup just as hollis_f said. I think it'll still be a while yet before the 50D is replaced.

Just to add one more thing. It seems my worst fears are coming true. Every DSLR released from now until doomsday will have HD movie mode. Would the camera still be priced the same if it didn't have it?

So you think there will still be a 60d ?

In the dpreview on this page they are making a statement that its the big brother of the 50d and are showing the 50d up against the 7d ?
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/

The movie part of it I think will be a few buttons and a software enhancement for them to run HD video so the cost will be penny's to them

I can never understand when new kit comes out it is often the same figure in dollars and in pounds so with the exchange rate our American friends get it far cheaper than us.Why is this?

If the 7D was nearer to a £1000 which looks like the price over there I'd put my order in now.

Max.

I can never understand when new kit comes out it is often the same figure in dollars and in pounds so with the exchange rate our American friends get it far cheaper than us.Why is this?

If the 7D was nearer to a £1000 which looks like the price over there I'd put my order in now.

Max.
It is often the dollar price in GBP for the early advance orders in the UK as you say Max but after release the UK price usually comes down to nearer the $ - GBP exchange rate price. It seems like the Americans go in with their competitive selling rates right away whereas the UK dealers look to make some quick extra cash from the early adopters who are willing to pay a premium.

Max.

You know why Mr Brown our Prime minister and EX Chancellor of the Exchequer soon to be Ex Prime minister man puts loads of import tax + vat etc etc because he knows we are little worms and wont say a thing against the hole setup, Mine will be a import from somewhere avoiding his tax.

I've been looking at some of the High ISO samples on DPreview, and they do look very good for an 18mp APS-C image...

You know why Mr Brown our Prime minister and EX Chancellor of the Exchequer soon to be Ex Prime minister man puts loads of import tax + vat etc etc because he knows we are little worms and wont say a thing against the hole setup, Mine will be a import from somewhere avoiding his tax.

Which tabloid do you read ;) By the way, I'm pretty sure trying to dodge import tax is illegal.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back