• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (1 Viewer)

You know why Mr Brown our Prime minister and EX Chancellor of the Exchequer soon to be Ex Prime minister man puts loads of import tax + vat etc etc because he knows we are little worms and wont say a thing against the hole setup, Mine will be a import from somewhere avoiding his tax.

it seems a little OTT to blame the current PM for import duty and VAT, I think you'll find both were in place before he arrived on the scene. If I were you I'd avoid making statements like the last one - it is illegal to import an item and not declare it or pay duty on it, probably best not to advertise this as a plan!

To clarify the whole import situation, if you buy something directly from an overseas seller (buying a camera from the US or HK) then you are classed as the importer and are obliged to declare this and pay duty and VAT on it. I know many people don't both declaring but if you get caught then the have the right to seize the items, as well as charging you.

You know why Mr Brown our Prime minister and EX Chancellor of the Exchequer soon to be Ex Prime minister man puts loads of import tax + vat etc etc because he knows we are little worms and wont say a thing against the hole setup, Mine will be a import from somewhere avoiding his tax.
See my post above this has nothing to do with taxes or the like. Also this is not the place to air your political views IMO.

For info Most countries in the world included all of Europe have prices far higher than the US when it comes to camera gear. I have heard this same old argument from countries from all over the world.

Bet you read the Daily Mail Terry ;););)

Last edited:
It is often the dollar price in GBP for the early advance orders in the UK as you say Max but after release the UK price usually comes down to nearer the $ - GBP exchange rate price. It seems like the Americans go in with their competitive selling rates right away whereas the UK dealers look to make some quick extra cash from the early adopters who are willing to pay a premium.

Also, don't forget that the US prices you see advertised are without tax.

Just to remind everybody that VAT will go up in December.

Making the total cost rise for those not VAT registered.

I can't see the cost of this camera being reduced. It may be worth just waiting until the rise is due to place a confirmed order. By then all the niggles will have been published.

Looks a good camera, but £150.00 over-priced in this climate.

what they need to do is give one to someone who can do a proper test of the AF on small flying objects, not big sluggish cats, and see if its worth buying

I can't see the cost of this camera being reduced. It may be worth just waiting until the rise is due to place a confirmed order. By then all the niggles will have been published.

Looks a good camera, but £150.00 over-priced in this climate.

given the way the price of the 50D fell between being announced and being available I would not be at all shocked if this was more like £1400-1500 by the time it's actually available.

what they need to do is give one to someone who can do a proper test of the AF on small flying objects, not big sluggish cats, and see if its worth buying

nothing to say to that really but I love and hate your avatar - stunning bird but I'm turning green...

I can't see any real improvements over the 50D.

seriously! what about the improved AF system, better weather sealing, faster frame fate, better viewfinder, inbuilt wireless speedlite transmitter, HD video (yes I do think it's a plus) and apparently (though I've not seen the evidence yet) improved noise at high ISOs and a wider dynamic range...

See my post above this has nothing to do with taxes or the like. Also this is not the place to air your political views IMO.

For info Most countries in the world included all of Europe have prices far higher than the US when it comes to camera gear. I have heard this same old argument from countries from all over the world.

Bet you read the Daily Mail Terry ;););)

I did go over the top with my comments, and yes Roy its the Daily Mail of course, not the Financial Times, :news: I will go back to sleep now.

You have. I think this was the only thing that one could be certain about before the announcement. I know very little about video, but several people are saying it looks quite good - something about 24p whatever that is. Apparently Hitler is quite keen on it?

Couldn't give a toss about the 7D but that video is fan-bloody-tastic

That's the same video they subtitled when the D3x came out and has also been used for the Xbox - it is funny though!

Is it not time for an apology Adam ?

Does that mean me!?!? :eek!: :h?:

Anyway, can I get a clarification on a matter. If you are a professional photographer and images are your sole means of income does tht mean you can claim the VAT back on cameras and lenses being tools of the trade?

I know very little about video, but several people are saying it looks quite good - something about 24p whatever that is. Apparently Hitler is quite keen on it?

You must have been reading US sites as 24p (p=fps) is more compatible with NTSC system whereby 25p is more compatible to the UK PAL system which means I couldn't edit video taken with my Sony HDR-FX7 (PAL) video camera with footage from my new ;) Canon 7D if filmed using 24p and if I did it would end up looking like THIS.

That Hitler bloke doesn't go much on modern technology does he...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back