• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Dragon/Damselflies reports/news (1 Viewer)

Swanton Novers NNR is a close reserve with no access to the public. However BB chasers are pretty widespread across Norfolk and you should not have any problem finding them over ponds or ditches for thenext couple of months in the county. I only put the record on here to aleart any interested that they are emerging and for the county recorder to pick up the record of first emergance.

Swanton Novers NNR is a close reserve with no access to the public. However BB chasers are pretty widespread across Norfolk and you should not have any problem finding them over ponds or ditches for thenext couple of months in the county. I only put the record on here to aleart any interested that they are emerging and for the county recorder to pick up the record of first emergance.

Ah right. No worries then :)

While the first BB Chasers usually apear by the end of April\early May I should have pointed out its another 2-3 weeks before they are widespred and common. The strong winds of the past few days are not ideal dragonfly watching weather.

The strong winds of the past few days are not ideal dragonfly watching weather
Yep, managed just one teneral 4-spot at Thompson yesterday.

Somwone else must have seen them somewhere this year , but as not mentioned on the forum I had my first blue tailed damsel on Tuseday at Swanton Novers. Unfortunetly it was dead floating in a pond , maybe drowned by the recent heavy rain.

Strumpshaw fen this weekend;
Variable, blue tailed, azure, common, red-eyed damselflies as well as banded demoiselles, hairy dragonfly, broad bodied and 4-spot chasers
Don't think I've missed anything, but may have done! scarce chaser should be next on the list.

Nice to have the odes back again!

Had a rather odd report of Norfolk hawker today, with photo (I wasn't around at the time) description I got was of a hawker with green eyes and a single brown/orange coloured body. Wish I'd seen the pic. I'm assuming it's most unlikely given the temperatures at the moment, would be a month early?!

On a separate note scarce chasers were emerging in number this morning along the riverbank at strumpshaw fen. It was warm and sunny in between the showers, triggering emergence.

What views on the absolute best place for Norfolk Hawker? I've seen them at several sites, but never managed to photograph them properly. And keen to do so! Thanks in advance for suggestions.
James

What views on the absolute best place for Norfolk Hawker? I've seen them at several sites, but never managed to photograph them properly. And keen to do so! Thanks in advance for suggestions.
James

Had at least 10 this morning on the meadows at strumpshaw, (along with plenty of scarce chasers) but as for absolute best sites I'm not sure. Anywhere in the broads with decent habitat can be good on its day.

If you want a photo, early mornings are best, they heat up quickly and become annoying/impossible to photograph. You can see the newly emerged adults warming up before their maiden flight which makes for easier viewing too.

Good luck

From my limited experience of Norfolk, I'd say Strumpshaw was the single best site for them that I saw - large numbers and some were willing to perch even in the afternoon. The ditch near the entrance to the meadow (unmissable because there will be loads of people stood round it photographing dragonflies) gets good numbers and has convenient places for dragonflies to perch out in the open where they're visible.
Wheatfen Broad was good for seeing them, but I don't remember one sitting still in view the whole time I was there.

From my limited experience of Norfolk, I'd say Strumpshaw was the single best site for them that I saw - large numbers and some were willing to perch even in the afternoon. The ditch near the entrance to the meadow (unmissable because there will be loads of people stood round it photographing dragonflies) gets good numbers and has convenient places for dragonflies to perch out in the open where they're visible.
Wheatfen Broad was good for seeing them, but I don't remember one sitting still in view the whole time I was there.

thanks to you and Ben. Tuesday morning is sorted then...

James

Over the winter we discussed the pond by the Terrace Cafe in Thorpe St Andrew business park being drained. Today there was a Norfolk hawker patrolling as well as a four-spot. They weren't there yesterday and I see no evidence they emerged locally so they are probably colonists. However over the last few weeks I have seen teneral blue-tailed and Azure damsels that do appear to have emerged from the pond - so they probably survived the draining.

Stacks of Dragon and damselflies about today at Swanton Novers . 60 4 spot chasers, 15 broad bodied Chasers, 2 emperor dragonflies, 1 fresh southern hawker yet to take its first flight , plus 400+ azure, 150 common blue and 40 large red damselflies. No red eyed damselfly yet and its still too early for emeralds and small red eyes. This time last year the first darters were apearingtoo, but none yet.

Over the winter we discussed the pond by the Terrace Cafe in Thorpe St Andrew business park being drained. Today there was a Norfolk hawker patrolling as well as a four-spot. They weren't there yesterday and I see no evidence they emerged locally so they are probably colonists. However over the last few weeks I have seen teneral blue-tailed and Azure damsels that do appear to have emerged from the pond - so they probably survived the draining.

That's good news. Haven't been to the Terrace recently, but there's been male emperor and Norfolk hawker patrolling the lake by the Waterside Cafe (and four-spot chaser) all this week. maybe the Norfolk Hawker has come from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back