• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bempton Cliffs (1 Viewer)

Disneynut1973

Hi,

We are planning a visit to Bempton next Friday and just wondered if the Puffins are there? The latest update on the RSPB says there were a couple but that was the 25th February.

We've never been before and my little one loves Puffins and is very excited about seeing them but I don't want to get her hopes up too much!

Thanks

Pam

We were there about 3 weeks ago and there were lots of Puffins on the cliffs. Apparently there had been about 250 rafted on the sea the night before. Got some very good views, at one watch point we were within 10 yards of a pair. Bit early for puffins normally. Best thing is ring the RSPB visitor centre at Bempton and they will tell you what's happening.

Hi, I can second the above. I was there on the 17th March and there were numerous on the cliffs in good view. Just took a bit of patience to soft through the 1000's of guilemots and razorbills!

Has anyone been to Bempton Cliffs recently. Just wondering what the views are like or whether it is still a little bit too early in the season for a visit.

Di

Has anyone been to Bempton Cliffs recently. Just wondering what the views are like or whether it is still a little bit too early in the season for a visit.

Di

Hi Di, went on saturday. Great views. about 15 puffins in all, 4 on the cliffs others flying in and some down on the sea. Lots and lots of activity in general though!

Thanks for the update Jimmy, I'm there for a few days so hopefully the cliff top walks will bring in a good selection of birds. I can always pop back later on in the season when the young start to take to the wing.

Di

Just back from our stay close to Bempton Cliffs. Although this years visit was earlier than last, I'm sure that there were more birds about on the cliffs which was great to see. How they manage to raise their young when they are preached on such sear ledges, is unbelievable.

Di

I only saw the cliffs in the fog Di and was amazed at how many birds where packed onto them, can't imagine the youngsters clinging on too!

If you get the chance to go again Pam, then you should go. Sounds are just awesome with some of the birds literally being an arm length away at times.

We'll be back but perhaps in June/July next year.

Di

Definitely will be going again later on in the summer. Hubby and I both want to visit without the fog though we agree after seeing some clear photos on the net we'll probably have the 3yr old glued to our sides after seeing just how high up we were! Didn't have a clue with the fog! :eek!:

Definitely will be going again later on in the summer. Hubby and I both want to visit without the fog though we agree after seeing some clear photos on the net we'll probably have the 3yr old glued to our sides after seeing just how high up we were! Didn't have a clue with the fog! :eek!:

I am hoping to visit later this year. Any idea when the puffins leave so I can plan ahead and not miss them?

Even if the puffins are still around after August, they'll have lost the colourful beak so don't look anywhere near as cute. You get occasional puffins seen from the Sept and Oct Skua cruises out of Bridlington.

So if I went say 14th July I should still in theory be able to photograph the gannets on the rock and some puffins on the cliffs, not just far out to sea?

So if I went say 14th July I should still in theory be able to photograph the gannets on the rock and some puffins on the cliffs, not just far out to sea?

Absolutely BB

A good read is a book by Richard Vaughan called Seabird city. You can purchase this from Bempton Cliffs shop when you visit, the book is based on the headland at Bempton and the immediate area and gives a month by month guide as what to expect on the cliffs.

The 3 auks (Puffin, Guillemote, Razorbill) will start to fledge in July as will the Gulls, however the Gannets and fulmars should still be on the nests.

I recently visited Bempton and included the cliff top walk to North Landing where you also get good veiws of puffins fairly close

Good luck
Dave

Last edited:
Hi all

I'm planning on going to Bempton next week; never been before so any tips would be very welcome. Guillemots, razorbills and puffins still around I take it? We'll be up there for three days so any suggestions on other good birdy places in the area would be welcomed too. Also , anyone been on any of the boat trips from Bridlington to see the nesting birds? I understand the RSPB do some.

Joanne

Might even see you there Joanne as we are at Bempton area for part of next week. You could try the cliffs at Flamborough, there is quite a nice woodland walk as well at Flamborough.

Whereabouts are you staying, do you have any target birds?

Purple Sandpiper at Filey
Honey Buzzard/ Goshawk at Wykeham
Red Grouse, nightjar and Golden Plover on t'moors

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back