• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightroom,CS4.Elements & Gimp (1 Viewer)

El CID

I have inherited Lightroom 1.1, CS4, Elements & Gimp.
Of these which will be best for improving/sharpening my digiscoping masterpieces ?
Reg

Assuming you mean Photoshop CS4, then that will give you the best results but also the steepest learning curve. Elements will, as its name implies give you some of the full version of Photoshop's abilities, and depending on the version has some adjustment wizards that full Photoshop lacks.

Lightroom is intended as an image management program but can also apply changes to whole images as opposed to parts of images, Photoshop can do what Lightroom can and much more.

I'd forget completely about GIMP, it is an open-source program that sets out to rival the power of Photoshop, but suffers from an even steeper learning curve than Photoshop and has so many esoteric functions that individuals have added because they want them that it becomes hard to see the wood for the trees.

So if you have time to practise then get a book, this is good, and start playing about with Photoshop.

Assuming you mean Photoshop CS4, then that will give you the best results but also the steepest learning curve. Elements will, as its name implies give you some of the full version of Photoshop's abilities, and depending on the version has some adjustment wizards that full Photoshop lacks.

Lightroom is intended as an image management program but can also apply changes to whole images as opposed to parts of images, Photoshop can do what Lightroom can and much more.

I'd forget completely about GIMP, it is an open-source program that sets out to rival the power of Photoshop, but suffers from an even steeper learning curve than Photoshop and has so many esoteric functions that individuals have added because they want them that it becomes hard to see the wood for the trees.
So if you have time to practise then get a book, this is good, and start playing about with Photoshop.

Many thanks for the book recommendation,I notice a similar book by the same author "Adobe Photoshop CS4 For Photographers",which would be preferable for a Photoshop Learner?

Martin Evening has been producing a book "Adobe Photoshop XX for Photographers" since at least version 5. With each new edition of Photoshop he revises and adds to it. I've had the Photoshop 6 edition and now the CS3 edition. So if you can get hold of the CS4 version then that would be great, it should be around as CS5 has not been out long.

Martin Evening has been producing a book "Adobe Photoshop XX for Photographers" since at least version 5. With each new edition of Photoshop he revises and adds to it. I've had the Photoshop 6 edition and now the CS3 edition. So if you can get hold of the CS4 version then that would be great, it should be around as CS5 has not been out long.

Many thanks, reserved a copy from local library who have three copies.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back