• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida November, Flycatcher or Pewee or Phoebe (1 Viewer)

raulqc

I can't figure out the id... I think is a common bird, and should know this one. This bird was photograph at Central Florida today.
I may need another guide or maybe I am really tired, my day started at 4:15AM drove close to 400 miles and walked several miles, I am ready for a nice hot shower and bed.

Thanks,
Raul

Attachments

• Florida.jpg.jpg
    Florida.jpg.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 113
Perhaps a Great Crested Flycatcher? I'm not used to seeing them from this angle but that's what it looks like to me...

It appears to be one of the Myiarchus group and I'd tentatively support Whooping Crone...there seems to be a hint of warmth on the fore-crown and rump, the secondaries seem to suggest the edge of a rufous panel in the wing. The sharp well defined tertial edges and the general grey wash to the upperparts....in total might suggest La Sagra's, with the lack of apparant rufous in the tail precluding GCF. The only thing that 'gnaws' a little is the bill looking perhaps a little short?

cheers :t:

I think Ken and Whooping Crane are right. From my memory of them (La Sagra's) in Cuba the less upright pose cf other Myiarchus is good, and I think that this causes a slight for-shortening of the tail and bill.

Any other photos Raul? There are no eBird records of La Sagra's for central Florida--only southern. Apparent pale bill base is not good for La Sagra's, but some other features are suggestive. But this is the time of year when they would show up.

Jim

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks Jim for the heads up on this thread. This bird is tripping up some because of the particular angle that it was captured. It's a Great Crested Flycatcher, but some of the details can't be seen in the picture. The rufous in the tail, for example, is quite obvious when looking at the underside of the tail or a more fully fanned tail. But the central rectrices are brown and the edges of the others are brown too. So from above, you just get brown.

The bird has the classic tertial pattern of a Great Crested, with really broad edgings to the upper tertial. Also, the primary projection is relatively long (and longer than that of La Sagra's, for example). It also looks big-headed and thick billed, with noticeable olive-green tones to the crown and back.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I agree with your ID. It makes sense of the pale bill base. I was having trouble with the wing formula--I only see 4 or 5 primaries on the projection, while my Sibley's shows 7 for Great-crested. But, in this posture, the tertials look to be flopping over and covering up some of the projection, so I think that explains that.

Also, my Nat Geo Complete birds of NA says GCF is distinctive in having a "broad white stripe on the innermost secondary". I take that's an anatomy goof and they are talking about the tertial.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Thanks guy for the help.
First, it was a long day yesterday, when I took the picture I was actually in South Florida, to be specific Okaloacoochee Slough State Forest.
That said it could be the GC Flycatcher, which I have seen before and photographed...

Here is a second pic that shows the downward angle on the tip of the bill. I don't have any front view pics.

Thanks Again, Raul

Attachments

• f2.jpg.jpg
    f2.jpg.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 62
Thanks Chris. I agree with your ID. It makes sense of the pale bill base. I was having trouble with the wing formula--I only see 4 or 5 primaries on the projection, while my Sibley's shows 7 for Great-crested. But, in this posture, the tertials look to be flopping over and covering up some of the projection, so I think that explains that.

Also, my Nat Geo Complete birds of NA says GCF is distinctive in having a "broad white stripe on the innermost secondary". I take that's an anatomy goof and they are talking about the tertial.

Best,
Jim
Hey Jim (and Raul),

With passerines, the tertials are synonymous with the innermost secondaries, so it's just a different way of expressing the same thing.

In addition to what I mentioned in my other post, notice the contrastingly rufous primaries edges and how the bird is overall dark and color saturated, with sharp contrast between the light feather edgings and dark feathers.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back