• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three more from Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

sirijay

Bird 1 was photographed in the hill country.

The two shore birds taken along south eastern coast of Sri Lanka.

Appreciate help with ID.

Attachments

• Bird-1.jpg
    Bird-1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Bird-2.jpg
    Bird-2.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Bird-3.jpg
    Bird-3.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 93
No idea on the passerine ... some kind of 'white eye' maybe but although I'd love to say Broad Billed Sandpiper, i'm thinking Sanderling and then Lesser Sandplover for your waders.

Wondering whether there is another name for a "Lesser Sandplover". My book has no such listing - the closes is a "Kentish Plover". Any thoughts.

I did look at another photo of the Sanderling possibility - and yes, there definitely is a hind toe. Having said that, not sure what that means with regard to ID.

Thanks. My book identifies this bird as a "Mongolian Plover" - which according to the website your directed me to, in an Asian form. Many thanks.

Agree with Zitting Cisticola and Little Stint.

I also initially thought Lesser Sandplover, but it looks like the bird has a white hind collar, which would rule out a sandplover and would make this a Kentish Plover.

So - may I assume that what I have are:
1. Zitting Cisticola 2. Little Stint 3. Kentish Plover ??
These are all new birds for me - so if correct - I am thrilled!!

Relatively speaking, I think the stint has a rather long fine bill and looks rather long-legged, and does not feel “heavy-rumped” as a Red-necked often does. I guess the latter would be the only real confusion risk here. I believe that this most probably is a Little Stint. Does Red-necked occur regularly on Sri Lanka?

Relatively speaking, I think the stint has a rather long fine bill and looks rather long-legged, and does not feel “heavy-rumped” as a Red-necked often does. I guess the latter would be the only real confusion risk here. I believe that this most probably is a Little Stint. Does Red-necked occur regularly on Sri Lanka?

I feel the same, but with reservation, always difficult from just the one shot. Red-necked does I believe regularly occur in SL.

Here are two more photos of the possible Stint. Colors appear to be different but I suspect it has to do with the light. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Stint -1_.jpg
    Stint -1_.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Stint -1A_.jpg
    Stint -1A_.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 46
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back