• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Birdsong tapes (1 Viewer)

pandachris

A US citizen planning a trip to the UK posted a request on tripadvisor for places that might sell tapes of UK Birdsong in London. A reply was posted recommending Amazon but the response was :

"Thanks, but I was thinking more of a place to buy while in London rather than online. Surely there are some unique old shops that would carry stuff like this, especially audio tapes."

Anyone got any ideas/know of any suitable shops?

I'll bump this up just in case any London experts missed it first time round. I've certainly not come up with any ideas yet.

How about the London Wetlands Centre, I know the WWT at Slimbridge has all sorts of bits and pieces, books etc in their shop.

Paul.

PaulS said:
How about the London Wetlands Centre, I know the WWT at Slimbridge has all sorts of bits and pieces, books etc in their shop.
Along similar lines I was going to suggest the Rainham Marshes RSPB reserve on the upper Thames estuary, not far from central London I'd guess. They have a shop and other RSPB shops I've been to have had bird song tapes and CDs (more often CDs these days of course). Looks a good spot for birding anyway near London.

have you tried waterstones?

I bought a bird songs book called 'collins guide to bird songs and calls' there. It has a cd in it and the book describes the habitat etc where to find the birds. It was in the nature section amongst the other bird books.

Identilocator

I have a question in the same field. I wonder how long it will be until speech recognition technology and GPS technology marry and form a bird identilocator, telling you what bird is how far away and in which direction. Someone is going to make a lot of money from that - and if anyone is inspired, I hope they remember to buy me a drink with their millions.
Jeremy

I've been away from the site for a few days - thanks to everyone who has replied - I'll pass the suggestions on.

Jeremy - I'm not really keen on gadgets, but I might well be in the market for the international version of the Identilocator. Will it come with option x-ray specs for seeing through bushes?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back