• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paramo November bargains (1 Viewer)

Chris Oates

Why does a Black-headed Gull have a brown head...
At GoOutdoors

The major deals are the Alta II coat, the Velez smock, Tacana shirt & Viento jacket.

I've accumulated lots of Paramo through sales and would never go back to membrane jackets - Paramo is soooo comfortable & perfect for birdwatching as it's inherently warm.
Also they cut most of their upper body clothing quite long so your nether regions stay warm, their hoods are particularly good too.

Add the Fuera windproof smock to the sale list - at £25 bit of a bargain.
I used mine during the summer whizzing around on a bike and now on top of a fleece - it's not as light as a Montane Litespeed but it's far more protective and best of all has a really good peaked hood.
Also GoOutdoors are selling the Regatta Action II trousers for £13 - these have to be the best value trousers ever - more pockets than I can count, big chunky zips, double thick wear areas, well made, light enough for summer.

Whooop !!
Everythings on sale (24th Nov)
Tiaga fleece (£65) which is a Tiempo without the hood - low bulk windproof & water resistant.
Tacana & Trail shirts £25
Velez smock (again) at £80
Cascada coat at £90 - supersoft waterproof with good length for walking.
Paramo is ideal for birdwatchers as it is supremely comfortable and supplies some warmth which technical shells don't - also you don't get that 'trapped in a wet plastic bag' feeling when out in slaggy horrid warm drizzle.

Chris Oates said:
Tiaga fleece (£65) which is a Tiempo without the hood - low bulk windproof & water resistant.

Tiaga fleece is actually quite a different fleece, it does not have the windproof layer of the Tiempo and is not as lightweight. The Taiga feels like a fleece, where as the Tiempo feels more like a jacket (in my opinion). Both great item and a Taiga at £65 is a real steal.

Chris Oates said:
At GoOutdoors

The major deals are the Alta II coat, the Velez smock, Tacana shirt & Viento jacket.

I've accumulated lots of Paramo through sales and would never go back to membrane jackets - Paramo is soooo comfortable & perfect for birdwatching as it's inherently warm.
Also they cut most of their upper body clothing quite long so your nether regions stay warm, their hoods are particularly good too.
Just bought my son the Velez smock from a nearby shop - a one off at 30% discount. It's outstanding.

My favourite item from Paramo is the Taiga fleece - it's so comfortable. All of their gear stands out as it is rustle free and so flexible. Nothing is as breathable as Paramo, either - sheer comfort.

The guy in the outdoor shop where i bought my Tiempo fleece from recently assurred me that the Tiempo detachable hood would also fit the Taiga fleece which i also own. It doesn't.

Is it possible to purchase a detachable hood for the Taiga?

Regards,

Bill.

WCA said:
The guy in the outdoor shop where i bought my Tiempo fleece from recently assurred me that the Tiempo detachable hood would also fit the Taiga fleece which i also own. It doesn't.

Regards,

Bill.

very strange - I know someone who tried this and said it did work... best bet would be to get in touch with Paramo and ask them.

My wife has bought me the pajaro jacket from the Paramo stand at the North West Birdfair and whilst all and sundry are selling at discounted rates (cheapest i have found is £200 inc delivery) the Paramo staff charged my wife full RRP.

Bit gutted for her and me really.

I really should get her to sign up to this forum!

Great jacket though.

Sleeper said:
My wife has bought me the pajaro jacket from the Paramo stand at the North West Birdfair and whilst all and sundry are selling at discounted rates (cheapest i have found is £200 inc delivery) the Paramo staff charged my wife full RRP.

Bit gutted for her and me really.

I really should get her to sign up to this forum!

Great jacket though.
In ten years when it's as good as it is today, you'll long have forgotten its cost. Give it a bi-annual wash in NikWax TechWash and an annual reproofing in NikWax Reproofer and it'll remain as good as new for years to come.

WCA said:

Regards,

Bill.

I don't know but
This
would keep the wind out.

scampo said:
In ten years when it's as good as it is today, you'll long have forgotten its cost. Give it a bi-annual wash in NikWax TechWash and an annual reproofing in NikWax Reproofer and it'll remain as good as new for years to come.
Hi Scampo

I guess thats true enough. My father has the cascade and as you say still performs as good as the day he bought it.

Chris thanks for the info.Just got a Cascade jacket from Go Outdoors for £94 inc postage well pleased with the jacket. And Go Outdoors service was excellent posted yesterday came this morning cant get better than that .

Ragna said:
Chris thanks for the info.Just got a Cascade jacket from Go Outdoors for £94 inc postage well pleased with the jacket. And Go Outdoors service was excellent posted yesterday came this morning cant get better than that .
.. same experience for me! was going to sell on my old Alta II but having received the Cascada I realise now that it doesn't have the upper arm vents of the Alta and has one less pocket, so I think I'd better keep both!

John F

postcardcv said:
very strange - I know someone who tried this and said it did work... best bet would be to get in touch with Paramo and ask them.

Tried again with the Tiempo hood and it definately doesn't fit the Taiga Fleece. Different sized studs.

Chris, thanks for the suggestion re the Balaclava. Will take a look. Looks like it could be a godsend for winter Gull roost watching.

Cheers,

Bill.

WCA said:
Tried again with the Tiempo hood and it definately doesn't fit the Taiga Fleece. Different sized studs.

Chris, thanks for the suggestion re the Balaclava. Will take a look. Looks like it could be a godsend for winter Gull roost watching.

Cheers,

Bill.

The balaclava would be ideal (I've got one now) - it's plenty long enough to get down over the fleece's collar and the elastic draw cord provides a perfect seal.
The design is quite clever - the top is made like a cap with a fixed peak - it's elasticated and sits firmly on your head not blowing around like a hood.

For those of us who feel that you can never own too much gear Stewart R Cunningham are having a Paramo sale and unusually 'some' of the gear is available the funkier colours like Fuschia, Fire red, Amber, Lavender.
Best buy I think is the Explorer reversible fleece - it's got a huge dual access storage pocket which the 'Mountain' doesn't, it's also long enough to cover your 'bits'.
It's the only mid layer I use now as reversing it you can wear it in warm or cold weather.

If anyone's thinking of getting the Fuera windproof smock for £25-£35 this one Paramo garment that is 'not' inherently warm - it's not supposed to be - it's for pulling on over something like an Explorer when a gale arrives or the clouds open - it's fully windproof but not rated completely waterproof, mine hasn't got me wet yet though. Ideal for stuffing in a pocket just in case.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back