• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swing-away for Nikon ED82A and Canon A-series (1 Viewer)

Peewee

Martijn inspired me with his post on the wooden homemade adapter for the nikon scope. I just thought it would be a good idea to let you what I ended up with for my Nikon Scope and Canon A95 camera.

I have started a thread before but since I have received a p.m. asking for more info on how the adapter was made I decided to post a new thread so that others may also benefit. Besides, I have modified the adapter a little so that it can be used for both my 30xDS and 25-75x zoom eyepiece. I have posted this earlier thread but for those new here I will explain how it works and add some comments in the pictures. I will also give some info on the way it is made. The old thread is here. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=59605

This is how it works.

Although most pictures are self-explanatory (I think) I will give some additional info. The adapter consist of 2 parts that can be attached via a quick release. When they are detached I can still close my stay-on case. When attached and while birding I just look through the scope while the camera hangs above waiting for action. When I want to take a photo I just swing the camera down which then rests on the eyepiece. After the picture is taken I just swing the camera back up and continue birding.

What it is made of:
Nuts and bolts (M5), Clamp, PVC pipe, special PVC piece (don’t know the Dutch word for it, let alone the English. Just look at the photos) , Rivets, bicycle inner tube, hinge, universal quick release.

Tools used: Metal saw, riveter, drills and a few more common tools.

The modification I made for the 25-75x Zoom eyepiece only consists of sawing off a little bit of the ring which is attached to the scope so I get a little more play. I also made a ring which fits on the zoom e.p. making the diameter exactly the same as the diameter of the 30x DS e.p.

So far the adaper has worked great. I just need to work on my digiscoping skills but I am improving.

Just hope you like it.

Cheers Peter.

Attachments

• digidapter1.jpg
    digidapter1.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 467
  • digidapter2.jpg
    digidapter2.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 500
  • digidapter3.jpg
    digidapter3.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 459
  • digidapter4.jpg
    digidapter4.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 528
  • digidapter5.jpg
    digidapter5.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 445
Hi Peter,

It has become great. Fast, easy and a minimal amount of material. Thanks for posting again. The pictures are very clear.
At the moment i'm also in the proces of learning how to make a decent picture. My first garden pictures all failed. Building an adaptor is fun, using it can be dificult ;-)

Gegroet, Martijn

Martijn E said:
Hi Peter,

It has become great. Fast, easy and a minimal amount of material.

Hi Martijn

Thanks for the kind words.

Now that you have an adapter that works well you "only" need to impove on your digiscoping skills. Although making the adaper must have been quite a bit of work I am afraid this was the easy part. The hard part is yet to come. But if you look at Malc's pictures of the Kestrel I think there must be hope. And if improvement does not come fast enough just remember that others (like Malc) have benefitted from your adapter idea. That should give enough satisfaction/motivation to keep trying.

Cheers Peter,

Excellent looking solution, I'm very interested in trying this.
One thing though... I think I've looked at avery photo and avery word in both threads, but I can't find any mention of what the "special PVC piece" is!
Even if you don't know the word for it, can you give a clue as to where to get it?
I'm guessing it may be something from push-fit plumbing?

Hi Andy

I just got home from a cycling holiday so I could not respond earlier.

You guessed right. The part can be found in the plumbing section of the bigger DIY stores. (at least here in the NL). It has 2 black rubber rings on the inside that you do not need for the adapter.

Good luck

Cheers Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back