• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Goldfinch -- in California (1 Viewer)

Gentoo said:
So what would you guess it is? Is it a distinctly smaller then normal American Goldfinch that happens to have more green on it than what we should see in an area where Lesser Goldfinches are quite common? The only other Goldfinch, indeed small Carduelis species possible in central California is the Lawrence's Goldfinch which this bird clearly isn't.

You got me! These two birds are in apparent contradiction to one another. One small, on very much larger. One pink billed, one dark billed. Each at very different stages in spring moulting. At this point I'm guessing that the smaller bird is also an American (see accompanying male, in rear of middle photo) and that the larger bird is an anomolously large American -- Alex's "Frankenstein", if you will.

Neither would I be surprised by an identification twist posed in a future post. One thing is for sure, though: I appreciate Gail's sense of humor.

Hello all, pretty strange looking couple of finches! The following links may help the discussion:

1. According to Cornell, weight variation in American Goldfinches ranges from 11-20 grams, so the big ones are almost twice the size of the small ones.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/American_Goldfinch_dtl.html

2. Per the "North American Bird Bander" article linked in the pdf file below, males tend to be larger than females, with a maximum average size difference during winter.

elibrary.unm.edu/sora/NABB/v008n04/p0149-p0152.pdf

Like Robert, Alex and Jcwings, I fall in the "both birds being American Goldfinch's camp", with a difference in molt timing. I believe the the left bird to be female well into alternate plumage with its feathers smoothed down. The right bird I believe to be male still in basic plumage, with that puffball appearance that birds can get when they fluff their feathers. Take a particularly big male almost twice the size of particularly small female, have him fluff his feathers, look at the two birds at different angles, and he could appear three times her size...?

B Lagopus said:
Hello all, pretty strange looking couple of finches! The following links may help the discussion:

1. According to Cornell, weight variation in American Goldfinches ranges from 11-20 grams, so the big ones are almost twice the size of the small ones.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/American_Goldfinch_dtl.html

2. Per the "North American Bird Bander" article linked in the pdf file below, males tend to be larger than females, with a maximum average size difference during winter.

elibrary.unm.edu/sora/NABB/v008n04/p0149-p0152.pdf

Like Robert, Alex and Jcwings, I fall in the "both birds being American Goldfinch's camp", with a difference in molt timing. I believe the the left bird to be female well into alternate plumage with its feathers smoothed down. The right bird I believe to be male still in basic plumage, with that puffball appearance that birds can get when they fluff their feathers. Take a particularly big male almost twice the size of particularly small female, have him fluff his feathers, look at the two birds at different angles, and he could appear three times her size...?

It was strange that this "Michelin Man" bird was all puffed up both times it came to the feeder. Don't they usually fluff up and the go back to normal? It was puffed up while eating and when it flew off.

I am including another photo...and not meaning to further complicate this discussion, but am I seeing a Lesser Goldfinch to the right of "Bubba"? The coloring looks like the male in my book....thoughts?

I just want to clarify if I indeed have two different goldfinches at my feeder and thus, am confusing some for others size-wise... :h?: :h?:

Attachments

• finches.jpg
    finches.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 109
Hockey.Lover said:
It was strange that this "Michelin Man" bird was all puffed up both times it came to the feeder. Don't they usually fluff up and the go back to normal? It was puffed up while eating and when it flew off.

I am including another photo...and not meaning to further complicate this discussion, but am I seeing a Lesser Goldfinch to the right of "Bubba"? The coloring looks like the male in my book....thoughts?

I just want to clarify if I indeed have two different goldfinches at my feeder and thus, am confusing some for others size-wise... :h?: :h?:

The one on the right DOES look like a Lesser to me, especially with the full black cap (and darker bill?). Whereas the two on the left would appear to be male Americans - and not quite so small next to Bubba as the Lesser on the right or the female Americans in the original post. (PS. Does Bubba ever leave the tray? Could explain the excess weight).

Last edited:
Hockey.Lover said:

Definitely male Lesser on the right, the other two Americans. Female Lessers are pretty drab yellow-green, but besides size the wings are good for separating the goldfinches regardless of male/female or (for Americans) summer/winter plumage. Americans have broad, crisp, clean wingbars, while Lessers don't have such a clear pattern.

Hockey.Lover said:
:h?: :h?:
If the subject bird is somewhat "beaten up", be it from a window strike, mites, whatever, the feathers would be puffed up much of the time. Like people, warmblooded birds bundle up when they get a fever or are otherwise under the weather.

Agree with others, all are american except the far right on the last photo, which is lesser.

Scott

cavan wood said:
If the subject bird is somewhat "beaten up", be it from a window strike, mites, whatever, the feathers would be puffed up much of the time. Like people, warmblooded birds bundle up when they get a fever or are otherwise under the weather.

Agree with others, all are american except the far right on the last photo, which is lesser.

Scott

The goldfinch just didn't look right, so that makes sense that something was ailing it.

I guess the lesson for me from all of this is to have a little more patience when wanting to ID something. I tend to want it NOW. This part goes along with it because I've assumed that it was one particular bird because it looks similar and not looking closer.

Thank you to everyone who helped in this discussion. It broadens my horizons every day. :D :clap:

Gail

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back