• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Video Trip Report Gambia 21st-28th Jan 2013 (1 Viewer)

Awsome Jason!

Next time I go, I'll make sure I know how to operate the video function on my camera!
I think I saw everything you've captured there , apart from Blue Cheeked and White Throated Bee-eaters, and Rufous Crowned Roller.

It was good to see the Greyish Eagle Owl. where did you see that bird. The pair I saw were in a village called Dunasa.
Did you know that sightings of GEOs were unheard of until about 10 years ago. Even now, its reckoned that only the wherabouts of less than 10 birds is known (or so my guide reckons).
I'm about to give my account of the pair I saw on 'Back from The Gambia'.

Padraig.

great stuff Jason. Congrats!

Padraig, I think it's more to do with the fact that Greyish Eagle Owl has been split from Spotted Eagle Owl. And although they are uncommon, they are found throughout the country.

great stuff Jason. Congrats!

Padraig, I think it's more to do with the fact that Greyish Eagle Owl has been split from Spotted Eagle Owl. And although they are uncommon, they are found throughout the country.

Ah, that's interesting. I was not aware of the split, although I remember thinking as I looked at the 2 birds that I wasn't sure how I would tell them from Spotted Eagle Owl (having seen a pair in Kirstenbosch, Cape Town two years ago).
I guess the next edition of the book will have them there as a 'new' specicies.

Cheers,

Padraig

Some fond memories watching those videos. Excellent !
You make the trip sound very cheap, a few details wouldn't go a miss. I am looking forward to my next visit but it won't be next winter as I have other plans.
cheers Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back