• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you have a favorite football game bino? (1 Viewer)

Nikon 8x30 EII.

It's a great binocular to use for watching a football game! Ya can't kick about that for sure!:t:

Bob

My Opticron 7x36 suites me for Rugby (and lots of other stuff) so I imagine it might be my choice for US football.

David

Are you talking about football or handmelon? :)

In any case I would choose the Pentax Papilio 6.5x21.

Canon 10 x 30 IS are excellent for live games. Getting a little older so The image stabilization is fantastic and a must for shake free viewing. Especially after a couple Beers. :) Also have the 12 x 36 IS for when out viewing wildlife.

Nikon 8x30 EII.

It's a great binocular to use for watching a football game! Ya can't kick about that for sure!:t:

Bob

In seriousness now I would agree with Bob on this one, although I don't own one the wf
Would definitely be an asset and add in the fact they are pretty compact and light weight.

Bryce...

Hands down, a pair of 1960s Binolux 7x35s, 578ft@1000yds, cleaned up inside and out.
Big Plossl-plus-field-lens EPs, image sharp enough to cut your retinas for ~60%.
Like you dove out of your seat, and a flat screen.
They definitely do not make extra-wides like they used to.
A little yellowing is an asset against the arc night floodlights.
Good for hockey too (harsher lights), and handy in a melee ;-)

Last edited:
I use my Bushnell Elite 7x26 for sporting events. Great compact reverse porro.

If I went more often, I'd use this size.
Or one of the rare 7x25 extra-wides. But special occaisions call for a
wide load with enough prism glass to look around every corner
and sink a boat.

I'm a bigger fan of the EII than I am of "handmelon," however, the EII has a limited window in which it works during football season. When temperatures drop so does the functionality of the external focuser until the low double digits where it becomes hard if not impossible to turn.

Of course, if you've got nosebleed seats, you won't need to focus. Plus, the EII is not WP and when you get wet snow, you will need to protect it under your umbrella or poncho. We get a lot of rain in the fall during Penn State games - it's raining today but the Nittany Lions are away at Rutgers where it's probably raining, right Annabeth?

For football, I would opt for a WF WP internal focus roof or WF IF EP Porro. But really, with the gargantuan "live" screen coverage and replays (which I can see clearly with binoculars from Tudeki Park, about three miles from the stadium, and also the scoreboard), binoculars are unnecessary, at least for Big Ten college football (unless you view the games from three miles away like I do since I suffer from Demophobia, or more specifically, Tramplephobia - you will also never see me out shopping on Black Friday).

For watching local soccer and baseball games, I used the Fuji 6x30 FMTR-SX back when I could "set and forget." Didn't need more than 6x at that closer distance, and the 8.5* FOV provided plenty of room to follow the plays. Baseball was harder, of course, follow the bouncing ball.... :D

Brock

That would be nice, setting for 'focus-free' with Fuji 6x30s.
I have a pair of Wuest 8.3-deg 6x30s coming. Great parameters for
watching a multi-species bug raid. Wuest is super-sharp.
(and...not a 'hand-melon' for size!)
I'll regrease everything, so I can make them work well cold
with a multi-weight snowmobile grease.

It always bugged that 6x wasn't made with 11-13 degree views.
But 6x sweeps very comfortably. Your cortex isn't blurred as badly
when you're slewing.

I assume 'hand-melon' is a reference to the weight of the big-field 7x35s.
'Medicine ball' might be even more fun. Watching sports without
exercising is bad for you, though. Best to bring a barbell along ;-)
It's not that terrible...I have the magnesium-frame 'light' Binolux.
They weigh close to my somewhat ponderous Meo 6.5x32s.

Last edited:
That would be nice, setting for 'focus-free' with Fuji 6x30s.
I have a pair of Wuest 8.3-deg 6x30s coming. Great parameters for
watching a multi-species bug raid. Wuest is super-sharp.
(and...not a 'hand-melon' for size!)
I'll regrease everything, so I can make them work well cold
with a multi-weight snowmobile grease.

It always bugged that 6x wasn't made with 11-13 degree views.
But 6x sweeps very comfortably. Your cortex isn't blurred as badly
when you're slewing.

I assume 'hand-melon' is a reference to the weight of the big-field 7x35s.
'Medicine ball' might be even more fun. Watching sports without
exercising is bad for you, though. Best to bring a barbell along ;-)
It's not that terrible...I have the magnesium-frame 'light' Binolux.
They weigh close to my somewhat ponderous Meo 6.5x32s.

No, the term "handmelon" was taken from Kokko the Greek's post (#7) where I think he was using it to refer to American football as opposed to European football ("soccer" in the U.S.). I can see why Europeans scoff at calling what we play here "football" when except for the occasional punt, field goal and extra point, the "melon" remains in the hand of the players unlike European football where players never touch the ball with their hands while it's in play.

The 6x30 Fuji is a handful for its size, with its oversized prisms and 30 oz. weight. I sold mine because of my deteriorating focus accommodation, but I really do miss the view, which was one of the best I've seen through binoculars especially the super 3-D.

Brock

Last edited:
Wow, 30oz for a 6x30! I understand.

There are some old 6x18s and 7x25s with an 11 degree view,
Jason, Empire and Tasco, but they are a Mirador design, very nice.
Haven't tried them at a game yet. There should be some
hockey opportunities coming up.

No, the term "handmelon" was taken from Kokko the Greek's post (#7) where I think he was using it to refer to American football as opposed to European football ("soccer" in the U.S.). I can see why Europeans scoff at calling what we play here "football" when except for the occasional punt, field goal and extra point, the "melon" remains in the hand of the players unlike European football where players never touch the ball with their hands while it's in play.

The 6x30 Fuji is a handful for its size, with its oversized prisms and 30 oz. weight. I sold mine because of my deteriorating focus accommodation, but I really do miss the view, which was one of the best I've seen through binoculars especially the super 3-D.

Brock

Fuji 6x30 compared to the Leupold 6x30

Attachments

• brocks fujinon 6x30 second batch 023 (Medium).jpg
    brocks fujinon 6x30 second batch 023 (Medium).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 75
I have a old Minolta 8x22 pocket roof, cheap in its day, slightly out of alignment, kind of fuzzy in the left barrel, with almost unusably short eye-relief (even without glasses) dedicated to that use.

--AP

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back