• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 8.5x44 Genesis ED (2 Viewers)

Anyone have anything to add on these bins with the experience of several months' use?
I was very impressed when I tried them at the Birdfair in August.

Sean

Hi all,

I would also like to read users' experiences of long term usage. Any durability issues?
Has anyone used them in sub-zero temperatures? How does the focusing perform?

Thanks,

Maciek

Hi,

I added some follow-up comments, as well as pictures of the eyecup modification, to my review of the XD 8.5 in April (see review section). Since then these binoculars convinced me even more that they really belong to the best binoculars available today. There's very good transparency across the field of view with no cranked up contrast or colour saturation and as stated earlier, the focussing wheel is the finest I've ever laid my fingers on (sorry, no experience in low tempeartures). I have not experienced any problems with respect to durability, the binocular is built to last and everything works as it should. The strongest point however of this binocular is the way it goes about chromatic aberration (colour fringing). I have been testing a Zeiss 8x56 FL in the last couple of weeks and while this is clearly a truly great, reference class binocular, it simply falls short on CA suppression in comparison to the Kowa. Now who would have expected a result like that? I certainly didn't! My impression is that there's probably no better instrument available today when it comes to this one aspect as the Kowa XD.

Renze

Thanks for your comment Renze. I did read all available comments I could find on BF about the Kowa, it's really impressive piece of equipment. Shame that not many people use it, being put off by the weight.
I am considering to buy a roof bino which will be as good optically as my nikon 8x32 SE, with larger exit pupil size (8x42 or similar format). As I do not like CA, the Kowa 8.5 seems to be a good candidate.

Maciek

experience kowa

I have been using these bins now for more than a year.
In my collection I have several zeiss fl , ultravid hd and swarovski el.
though half the price , it just is the sparpest bin I have!!

Hi there,
According to Kowa's website there are 2 XD lenses in each objective assembly, one of them is the outermost lens.
http://www.kowa.eu/sporting_optics/en/XD44-Series.php
Doesn't it make the objectives more prone to scratches/damage, provided the XD glass is less durable than 'normal' glass? Any thoughts and comments? Thanks in advance.

Maciek

No, not at all. Modern AR coatings are very hard. Now even relatively "fragile" Fluorite crystal can be used as an outer lens.

cheers,
Rick

I would expect them to have superb optics. The only negative about them, if I remember correctly, is that they're substantially heavier than the euro alphas. That may or may not be considered a problem depending on the user.

Yes, when I spoke with the Kowa Int'l Sales Director at Tokyo PIE in March he said the Genesis 44 series has not sold as well as they hoped, probably because consumers were put off by their weight. Hence the new Genesis 33.

I spent some time looking thru the 8x33 and really liked them. But I also really like my Nikon 8x30 EII! Since I am a fair weather user, the weather proofing and toughness of these roofs just don't justify their $$$ cost when I can get a brighter, wider view with the Nikon.

cheers,
Rick

I have heard both. Some review apparently did not fancy the optics but most seem to think they are good, weight and or ergonomics being nr1 problem.

I would expect them to have super optics. The only negative about them, if I remember correctly, is that they're substantially heavier than the euro alphas. That may or may not be considered a problem depending on the user.

Rick, thanks for explanation. In camera lenses all ED glass is placed somewhere in the middle of the optical train, so I thought the same should be in binoculars.
I tried the Kowa XD44 lately at BirdFair and liked it quite a lot. Yes, it is a heavy bino, resembling Swaro SLC series, without the thumb indents.

I am curious where ED lenses are placed in the Chinese binos. Are there any sectional views available?

Regards,

Maciek

I like the kowa a lot to look through. Very neutral colors, very sharp. Good to hold for my hands.
As others said a bit too heavy and not really cheap.

Yes, I know, but I was curious if it was put as outer lens like in Kowa (vide my link from post #46)

I'd expect it would be on the outside of the group -- it's an achromatic doublet after all.

I'd expect that to be in a photographic lens too. If the first group adds CA you are unlikely to be able to cancel it out after that.

If durability is the issue then fluorphophate glass like FK51 is a little less hard than BK7 but not by a lot (Knoop Hardness of 360 versus 520 for BK7). It's not brittle or soft as CaF2 (Knoop Hardness 160).

Thank you Kevin.
As far as I understand now, even though there is an XD outside lens in the Kowa XD44, it is hard enough to withstand any conditions of field use. And it is coated anyway so no problem with cleaning either. Am I assuming right?

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back