• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from Norway (1 Viewer)

More youtube sketches...
Spring has arrived rather early in Oslo, with temperatures over 15 degrees. Still, I've had to rely on the internet - haven't had time to get out in the field before dark. A few of these sketches are made during one play of the video, like the Avocet. Drawing the Little Tern, however, I couldn't resist pausing, and the result is a hopelessly overdone "sketch" that has lost the spontaneous appearance that I like in a genuine field sketch.
I am enjoying this new found way of working, I can highly recommend it for those of you who have to endure long, dark, cold winters!

Attachments

• avocet.jpg
    avocet.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 85
  • barn swallows.jpg
    barn swallows.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 256
  • black tern.jpg
    black tern.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 108
  • little tern.jpg
    little tern.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 110
  • shoveler.jpg
    shoveler.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 78
Τhese are awesome Qivind!
Every one of them is unique and can't choise a favorite!
Regarding the little tern it has to my eyes all the features of a "genuine" field sketch..you know how much appreciate detailed studies in the field!

Paschalis

More excellent work. The simplicity of the avocet I love :t: the Little Tern is great too and I cant see any overworking. I may give this youtube idea a go it may help my limited talent

This is a wonderful group of sketches, and the Little Tern piece looks fresh and beautifully done to me!

Thanks! I'm not too unhappy with the Little Tern, it only bothers me a little that I find it so hard to leave a sketch when it's a bit more rough and leaves more for the imagination. I like the swallows better, where I paid so little attention to detail that I forgot to draw the breast band on the adult birds.
Anyway, I really think that drawing and painting live birds is the way forward for me, and spring in Norway is extremely welcome!

Hi Oivind,

great work. I like the swallows, but I also like the others. It's great to see the pencil strokes.

Happy sketching!

Ulrike O:)

Thanks! I'm not too unhappy with the Little Tern, it only bothers me a little that I find it so hard to leave a sketch when it's a bit more rough and leaves more for the imagination. I like the swallows better, where I paid so little attention to detail that I forgot to draw the breast band on the adult birds.
Anyway, I really think that drawing and painting live birds is the way forward for me, and spring in Norway is extremely welcome!

Hi Oivind,
I know what you mean about trying to leave things well alone!

This is another superb collection. My faves are the breathtakingly 'simple' avocet, the exquiste sawllows and the lil' tern.
Your avocet has got me itching in anticipation for the local birds to hopefully arrive. I'll once again endeavour to do the impossible in making excellent sketches of rapidly-feeding birds!

Russ

Sounds like a great spring ahead of you! We just saw our first tree swallows the other day so I'm looking forward to more sketching with the same anticipation.

Welcome here in Sweden too! Great to be able to take gloves off finally and do a bit of sketching. Love these video inspired pieces, your use of watercolour and clean lines/tones is very nice and extremely effective, keep it coming. Look forward to seeing the summer migrants appearing here on the thread..

Just back from four days of birding in southern Spain, an excellent and wet experience - I came just in time for the first serious rainfall in a long time. The streets of El Rocio in Doñana turned into muddy rivers in just a few hours, and for a few days sketching and painting was a real challenge. Managed a few studies though, and had a brilliant birding experience all in all.

Attachments

• teal2.jpg
    teal2.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 105
  • waders2.jpg
    waders2.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 123
Hard to choose among these Oivind. They're all very nicely done. But I do have to agree that the background on the teal is especially nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back