• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Discolouration and rusty hinges on Zeiss SF (1 Viewer)

HN ... I am not questioning you claims at all. You posts have been very fair and informative. I agree that you have been unlucky, but I think your experience has been the exception.

It is easy for some to read about problems rightfully posted by a few and to conclude that the problems apply across the board, even when it may not the case. The impression may be blown more out of proportion by a certain member who trolls this sub forum to take things out of context, misrepresent the meaning and only add post after post with the intent of providing a negative slant.

As I said, your posts have been very fair and I do not think you are misrepresenting the issues you encountered. Actually you have approached them with good humor and the fact that you continue to have good things to say about the SF means a lot.

There have been several posts where people say they are reluctant to get an SF right now because of quality concerns and are waiting for the "bugs" to be worked out. I think it is good to let them know there are members, such as myself, who have had no problems and do not see any more risk in buying an SF than in buying another brand. I added Lee's post to the list to help show that perspective. There is a risk of getting a defect with any of the brands out there. The SF has been in manufacture for at least 10 months which is more than enough time to work out any initial production issues. I do not see it being any more risk prone than other models. No matter what the brand, if it is a bad one, then return it or send it back for warranty repair. I have done that multiple times with different brands. Waiting six months or two years is not a guarantee of a perfect unit from any manufacturer.

Sorry that you have had some issues. Sometimes it just works out that way. That is usually the case for me with computer components. If there is one bad one in a lot of 100, I will get the bad one.

Thank you for the civil and measured response Bruce! I agree with you 100 %! :t:

I think three documented cases of staining by forum members is enough cause for concern. It certainly makes me pause before buying an SF. I am not implying that every SF will stain either but too me it is cause for concern.

Dennis's Purchasing Checklist:

- Documented veiling glare issues
-- Check
- Reported rolling ball
-- Check
- Sticking focus mechanism issues
-- Check
- Mild but cleanable discoloration on a few units
-- Warning, Warning, Warning. Wallet snaps shut! 3:)

I think if you had some time with the Swaro focusers they would smooth out. They have to be broken in like a new car. Once they are broken in they are like butter on a brass door.

Posts have been mixed on that. My brother's 12X50 SV EL did not improve after two years of off and on use. He sent it back to Swaro and it still sticks to some degree but it is now acceptable. On the other hand, I have some friends with the prior gen SV where the focus mechanisms did smooth out over time. If it does not smooth out over time, odds are Swaro can improve things to an acceptable level. I only recall a couple of posts where the member was still unhappy after sending the binocular back for repair.

........ I am not trying to make the SF's look bad to put the SV's in a better light. ..........

Saying it does not make it so. Your post history implies otherwise.

Have been tempted to ask HN if he chewed tobacco. That stain looks like ..... Regarding the issue of stains on the body, Zeiss has a solution. Just produce the SF in what Henry Ford did with the Model T - the customer can have any color he wants as long as it is black. Stainless black!

Along those same lines, I wonder if the people who reported the issue are smokers. However there are no reports of the show models showing any issues and I assume some of the people handling the demos were smokers. It is an interesting mystery as to what is unique about these units or owners. I am still inclined to think that a production run had a bad supply of material.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back