• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Planning trip to Taiwan in November (1 Viewer)

aaron1956

aaron1956
I am planning a 4 day trip to Taiwan around the 8th of November. Which part of Taiwan would be the best this time of the year for birding and bird photography?
I am currently in Japan and I need to leave the country for a few days as my visa will expire then. After researching spots in Asia,Taiwan seems like a great place for birding.

I birded Taiwan a few years ago in May and absolutely loved it. Friendly people; great food and stunning scenery; oh and of course some great birds!

In a ten day trip we cleaned up on the local endemics, all of which btw are found in the mountain forests covering much of the island. In stark contrast, the lowlands are incredibly densely populated, but that's not to say that there aren't good birds to be had in the lowlands.

If you fly into Taipei, there are a few wetland reserves in the vicinity where you may get a variety of wetland species, but in particular may hold the globally endangered Black-faced Spoonbill, though the Cengwen estuary further south is the best place for them. You may also get Painted Snipe and a variety of waders in the surrounding paddyfields. We missed out on the Spoonbill due to the time of year, but they should be there when you arrive.

However, if you want to get on to some of the local endemics, you will need to go into the mountains. You should do this anyway because they are stunning and full of great birds, including the endemic Mikado and Swinhoe's Pheasants which many local photographers often stake out at roadside feeding stations.

Here is my personal trip report (as a birder not a photographer), if you're interested and can work out the places we visited from it:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=229907&highlight=taiwan+report

I am planning a 4 day trip to Taiwan around the 8th of November. Which part of Taiwan would be the best this time of the year for birding and bird photography?
I am currently in Japan and I need to leave the country for a few days as my visa will expire then. After researching spots in Asia,Taiwan seems like a great place for birding.

Chowchilla has given you great advice.

Dasyueshan is the place to go for endemics and photography. It's a good place all year round but just too many people up there during the summer. November should be fine, especially if you can avoid the weekends. Swinhoe's Pheasant at the 23km mark are very reliable and currently the Mikado Pheasant is showing well at the very top carpark which is better for photos than the old feeding station (usually better light). A favourite hangout for photographers is the 23.5km mark, especially if the trees there are fruiting.

Black-faced Spooonbills have already started arriving and by November you will have plenty around places like Aogu, along with many other shorebirds and Ducks.

If you are in Taipei then Yehliu Geopark may have some good birds...it's a great migrant trap if you get lucky and time it right.

Cheers

Dave

Chowchilla has given you great advice.

Dasyueshan is the place to go for endemics and photography. It's a good place all year round but just too many people up there during the summer. November should be fine, especially if you can avoid the weekends. Swinhoe's Pheasant at the 23km mark are very reliable and currently the Mikado Pheasant is showing well at the very top carpark which is better for photos than the old feeding station (usually better light). A favourite hangout for photographers is the 23.5km mark, especially if the trees there are fruiting.

Black-faced Spooonbills have already started arriving and by November you will have plenty around places like Aogu, along with many other shorebirds and Ducks.

If you are in Taipei then Yehliu Geopark may have some good birds...it's a great migrant trap if you get lucky and time it right.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave! I am really looking forward to the trip!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back