• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (8 Viewers)

Quick walk round Forge Mill and Swan Pool this afternoon

Forge Mill - 1 Greylag, Male Pintail, a few Pochard, Shoveler, Teal and Gadwall but numbers all pretty low

Myself and Pete Hackett where talking about the low wildfowl numbers early today maybe a national trend ?
Good Birding YAMYAM

Myself and Pete Hackett where talking about the low wildfowl numbers early today maybe a national trend ?
Good Birding YAMYAM

Could be Dave but Swan Pool seemed to be heaving with wildfowl. Maybe for some reason Forge Mill is becoming unattractive to wildfowl ? With the seeming loss of the Lapwings something sure doesn't seem right about the place. There was work going on but I doubt this would affect duck numbers. More birds of prey around maybe but I only saw a sparrowhawk and they've always been around? Very puzzling.

Why
Could be Dave but Swan Pool seemed to be heaving with wildfowl. Maybe for some reason Forge Mill is becoming unattractive to wildfowl ? With the seeming loss of the Lapwings something sure doesn't seem right about the place. There was work going on but I doubt this would affect duck numbers. More birds of prey around maybe but I only saw a sparrowhawk and they've always been around? Very puzzling.

Pete Hackett, Several of the locals and myself believe the local Peregrine may have a lot to do with the loss of birds on Forge Mill
Good Birding Dave

Swan pool has always been my favorite patch of water in the Valley, the only problem with swan pool no shoreline or decent island for waders
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Coots
A new total has come to light of 329 birds on a Webs Count on the 24th January 2010 per Matt Hadlington
Good Birding YAMYAM

Back again to Matt's comment about Forge Mill becoming unattractive to wildfowl and many birds in general, there is always a possibility it could be something to do with the trees that surround a fair percentage of Forge Mill if you look at the photo on post 4115 of forge mill back in the early eighties you will see what I mean.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Back again to Matt's comment about Forge Mill becoming unattractive to wildfowl and many birds in general, there is always a possibility it could be something to do with the trees that surround a fair percentage of Forge Mill if you look at the photo on post 4115 of forge mill back in the early eighties you will see what I mean.
Good Birding YAMYAM

I think the Peregrine could be something to do with it too especially concerning the lapwings. Re the tree cover I remember in the early nineties walking round Forge Mill and you had a good view most of the way round. Prior to them planting round the side of the RSPB portion of the lake I know there used to be a problem with dogs entering the water and some of the scrub is good for warblers etc.

Saying that views are so restricted now that I'm sure it would be of benefit to clear at least some of the scrub to produce some clear areas.

There again there always seems to be plenty of ducks on the pools in Priory woods and they are totally surrounded by trees so it maybe comes back to the Peregrine again.

We have also lost out on Yellow Wagtail, Wheatear, Whinchat, Pipit's and many more it will be interesting to see what happens when the environmental services decide what the plans are regarding the flood defences if they decide not to do anything on Forge Mill maybe the Rangers/ RSPB could get their heads together and do some much needed management work. Some work was undertaken by Matt Hadlington and friends of Sandwell Valley down near North Island.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Only news received so far today is there are now two GoldenEye on Forge Mill per Pete Carless
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Forge Mill 3pm- Dusk
Pintail male, GoldenEye x3 female, Water Rail, Tufted Duck x76, Shoveler x6, Gadwall x7, Pochard x2, Wigeon female, Goosander x42, Little Egret and Jackdaw 1000+ to roost per Matt Haddington
Good Birding YAMYAM

Ring Necked Parakeets at the Feeding Station photos by Colin Groves

Attachments

• IMG_20161203_171545.jpg
    IMG_20161203_171545.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20161203_171550.jpg
    IMG_20161203_171550.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 7
#County News
Bartley
Caspian Gull 1st winter, Yellow Legged Gull x5 and Common Scoter x2 for there tenth day per Terry Hinett
Good Birding YAMYAM

Only news received today
Marsh completely Frozen, Forge Mill 90% Frozen, only one GoldenEye, Goosander x20, all the regular ducks present in small number's, Willow tit at Feeder's, Ring Necked Parakeets x3 over, Redwing x18 over and a Buzzard per Pete Carless
Good Birding YAMYAM

# `County News`!
A Tawny Owl was heard @ 12.35am (this morning) in Barnford Park Warley.
The first I`ve heard around here for over 30 years. But I`m not usually around at that time of day!!!
Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back