• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how to carry scope (1 Viewer)

without sounding too much like a numpty..... ive just got my first scope, it comes with a stay on case which has what looks like a shoulder strap. Is it ok to carry the scope and tripod using this strap or could it be too much weight and damage the scope?

Thanks

Using the strap on the stay on case to carry scope when tripod attached will put a lot of strain on the strap attachments. There's a good chance of the attachments ripping away.

Be careful carrying the tripod on your shoulder with the attached scope hanging down behind your back - on some models the screw thread attachment between the two can work loose, with the scope then falling to the ground ... not good.

Ok thanks all, so its probably not the best idea then. Are there universal or if not dedicated carrying straps that you can buy for tripods?. The tripod is a Manfrotto prob.

Actually it doesn't, no sword or large animal to ride on worst luck.
What it does do is free up both hands to use bins, whilst having the scope ready if I need it. You cannot beat a He-Man Bra... the must have accessory

Wow, both look like good bits of kit, the mulepac does have more storage though if you need it. Was looking for a bit of a cheaper option at the moment though. Think ill bear with it for now. Cheers. :p

Scopac/Mule alternative

I've got an Olivon Podtrek from BinocularOutletUK (also on Ebay) which is £40.

It's great and of course cheaper than the other two.

Makes birding with a scope so much easier.

Cheers,

H

Using the strap on the stay on case to carry scope when tripod attached will put a lot of strain on the strap attachments. There's a good chance of the attachments ripping away.

Can vouch for this - the screw thread on my scope ended up knackered doing this. I really wouldn't recommend doing it, unless you fancy an expensive repair down the line.

Some birders sneer at Scopacs/Mulepacks, but they're worth it, although must admit my scope's quite a large and heavy model so I find them quite awkward with it. For lighter travelscopes they're brilliant.

My only query with these scope backpacks is their ability to stand up in strong winds Force 6-7 when used for scoping on the sea shore.They appear to offer a great deal of wind resistance when acually scoping,do they blow over easier?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back