• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taiwan - Birding Reports (1 Viewer)

Damn...you keep finding these great birds!

My weekend was a total disaster - as the North seemed a bit quiet during last week and the weather reports looked perfect for Dasyueshan, I headed to the chicken mountain on Saturday. With perfect weather forecast, it of course rained the whole day and all the mountain birds appear to be now extinct!

To kick me while I was down....Scaly-sided Merganser and Grey Bunting turned up in the Taipei area while I was cold and wet in the mountain!

Cheers

Dave

I get my fair share of misery, too, especially when I choose to leave coastal areas. As it got reported again on Sunday morning, I spent six more hours in the afternoon at Da Pu waiting for that awful White-bellied Sea Eagle to show up. Of course it didn't, making it the SIXTH TIME now I've dipped on it this year!

You can cross your fingers for those two birds in Taipei as both have wintered in the past at precisely the spots they've chosen to turn up in this year. I am currently crossing mine as I still need Grey Bunting!

You can cross your fingers for those two birds in Taipei as both have wintered in the past at precisely the spots they've chosen to turn up in this year. I am currently crossing mine as I still need Grey Bunting!

Reports are that the Grey Bunting is still there today.....please stay at least 2 more days!!!

Cheers

Dave

Reports are that the Grey Bunting is still there today.....please stay at least 2 more days!!!

Cheers

Dave

I got my Grey Bunting Friday. Spent Saturday at Tian Liao Yang where I was hoping for reed buntings but got none. The first-winter Black-headed Bunting was still there and a Forest Wagtail a bit of a surprise. I returned to Jin Shan on Sunday for the battered-looking first-winter male Red-throated Thrush. Another decent weekend all told.

Attachments

• Grey Bunting (07) - Copy.jpg
    Grey Bunting (07) - Copy.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Black-headed Bunting (01) - Copy.jpg
    Black-headed Bunting (01) - Copy.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Forest Wagtail (01) - Copy.jpg
    Forest Wagtail (01) - Copy.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Red-throated Thrush (01) - Copy.jpg
    Red-throated Thrush (01) - Copy.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 147
I got my Grey Bunting Friday. Spent Saturday at Tian Liao Yang where I was hoping for reed buntings but got none. The first-winter Black-headed Bunting was still there and a Forest Wagtail a bit of a surprise. I returned to Jin Shan on Sunday for the battered-looking first-winter male Red-throated Thrush. Another decent weekend all told.

Nice....I had the Grey Bunting on Saturday and the Red-throated Thrush yesterday morning. I think we left before you got there. A 2 lifer weekend is a good result for me and almost makes up for my time on the mountain last weekend.

Other decent birds this weekend included Japanese Robin and Tristram's Bunting at Yehliu. I will add photos later. Interesting reports and photos of a Red-crowned crane that showed up in Jinshan on Saturday and was seen West of there on Sunday....unconfirmed rumours are that it headed to Aogu.

Which area is the Black-headed Bunting hanging out?

Cheers

Dave

Nice....I had the Grey Bunting on Saturday and the Red-throated Thrush yesterday morning. I think we left before you got there. A 2 lifer weekend is a good result for me and almost makes up for my time on the mountain last weekend.

Other decent birds this weekend included Japanese Robin and Tristram's Bunting at Yehliu. I will add photos later. Interesting reports and photos of a Red-crowned crane that showed up in Jinshan on Saturday and was seen West of there on Sunday....unconfirmed rumours are that it headed to Aogu.

Which area is the Black-headed Bunting hanging out?

Cheers

Dave

I do so hope that everything will now start heading towards Au Gu, be it pelican or crane!

The Black-headed Bunting moves between the big obvious clump of reeds slap bang in the middle of Tian Liao Yang and the large grassy area adjacent to the river just west of there (both spots south of the railway). There were also several Rustic Buntings in this area Sat/Sun.

I do so hope that everything will now start heading towards Au Gu, be it pelican or crane!

The Black-headed Bunting moves between the big obvious clump of reeds slap bang in the middle of Tian Liao Yang and the large grassy area adjacent to the river just west of there (both spots south of the railway). There were also several Rustic Buntings in this area Sat/Sun.

Thanks Steve, that helps...I may try there this weekend, Black-headed Bunting would be a lifer and one that I have dipped on at that same location previously.

I have attached a photo of a bird that we found walking around the path at Yehliu on Saturday morning. It was obviously too tired to fly. Appreciate any help on the ID.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• ID Required - Yehliu Nov 2015.jpg
    ID Required - Yehliu Nov 2015.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Thanks Steve, that helps...I may try there this weekend, Black-headed Bunting would be a lifer and one that I have dipped on at that same location previously.

I have attached a photo of a bird that we found walking around the path at Yehliu on Saturday morning. It was obviously too tired to fly. Appreciate any help on the ID.

Cheers

Dave

Siberian Rubythroat. The white tips on the greater coverts and tertials age this one as a first-winter. Lots of very tired birds around this last weekend!

Some weekend photos...

Attachments

• Japanese Bush-Warbler 7.jpg
    Japanese Bush-Warbler 7.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Siberian Rubythroat 6.jpg
    Siberian Rubythroat 6.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Japanese Bush-Warbler 8.jpg
    Japanese Bush-Warbler 8.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Grey Bunting.jpg
    Grey Bunting.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Tristram's Bunting 7.jpg
    Tristram's Bunting 7.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 123
and some more photos...

Attachments

• Grey Bunting 2.jpg
    Grey Bunting 2.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Red-throated Thrush.jpg
    Red-throated Thrush.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Red-throated Thrush 2.jpg
    Red-throated Thrush 2.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 172
  • Grey Bunting 3.jpg
    Grey Bunting 3.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 187
  • Daurian Redstart 7.jpg
    Daurian Redstart 7.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 190
The Dalmatian Pelican has apparently arrived at Au Gu. Now all it has to do is stay put till the weekend!

Hope it stays for you.....I couldn't wait any longer and made a quick trip this morning for the Red-crowned Crane. So far it is staying around the Sanzhi District although it is constantly moving around that area and doesn't appear settled. Will add some photos later.

Some photos...

Attachments

• Red-crowned Crane 4.jpg
    Red-crowned Crane 4.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Dusky Thrush 2.jpg
    Dusky Thrush 2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Zitting Cisticola 2.jpg
    Zitting Cisticola 2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Japanese Bush Warbler.jpg
    Japanese Bush Warbler.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Osprey 6.jpg
    Osprey 6.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 199
Hope it stays for you.....I couldn't wait any longer and made a quick trip this morning for the Red-crowned Crane. So far it is staying around the Sanzhi District although it is constantly moving around that area and doesn't appear settled. Will add some photos later.

The pelican didn't stay for me, and I twitched it two days late not having known that it had already gone! I'm glad I did, though, cos I found myself a Willow Warbler whilst pottering around Au Gu!

Attachments

• Willow Warbler (04) - Copy.jpg
    Willow Warbler (04) - Copy.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 223
  • Willow Warbler (06) - Copy.jpg
    Willow Warbler (06) - Copy.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 206
The pelican didn't stay for me, and I twitched it two days late not having known that it had already gone! I'm glad I did, though, cos I found myself a Willow Warbler whilst pottering around Au Gu!

I tried Au Gu again Saturday to try and relocate the Willow Warbler, but no joy. I did manage to pick up a Great Black-headed Gull on the Pu Zi River on my way home, though. Despite the wind, Sunday was not the dead loss I thought it was going to be, as I managed to find a Common Ringed Plover near Qi Gu Salt 'Mountain'.

Attachments

• GBHGull (01) - Copy.jpg
    GBHGull (01) - Copy.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Ringed Plover (03) - Copy.jpg
    Ringed Plover (03) - Copy.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Excellent....my weekend was a disappointment.

I spent Saturday morning at Luzhou in Taipei looking for the Tundra Swan that was present there on Friday afternoon. The Swan appeared to have left although it could possibly have been obscured by the mangroves. One Black-faced Spoonbill and one Eurasian Spoonbill were working the same area.

Following that disappointment, I visited Jingmei in Taipei in the hope of getting photographs of the Whistling Green-Pigeon that has been residing there for the last few weeks. I again dipped. A Baikal Teal was reported at Guandu on Saturday morning.

Sunday morning I returned to Jingmei and finally got the bird (in bad light) before heavy rain sent me packing. Apart from the resident? Black-naped Orioles, there were also lots of Thrushes in Jingmei including Eyebrowed, Brown-headed, Pale and Chinese Blackbird.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Whistling Green Pigeon.jpg
    Whistling Green Pigeon.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 204
I caught up with the Dalmatian Pelican in Qi Gu early this morning, albeit miles away. It's a good job I did go straight for it, as it flew north shortly after I arrived.

Attachments

• Dalmatian Pelican (02) - Copy.jpg
    Dalmatian Pelican (02) - Copy.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 194
I caught up with the Dalmatian Pelican in Qi Gu early this morning, albeit miles away. It's a good job I did go straight for it, as it flew north shortly after I arrived.

Congrats...that was one I didn't expect you to get on your year list! This morning I successfully twitched the Black-chinned Fruit Dove in Nangang, Taipei. I got the bird and still made it to work by 8:20am!

I will try again at the weekend for better photos...hopefully it will stay for a while.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Black-chinned Fruit Dove.jpg
    Black-chinned Fruit Dove.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Black-chinned Fruit Dove 2.jpg
    Black-chinned Fruit Dove 2.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Congrats...that was one I didn't expect you to get on your year list! This morning I successfully twitched the Black-chinned Fruit Dove in Nangang, Taipei. I got the bird and still made it to work by 8:20am!

I will try again at the weekend for better photos...hopefully it will stay for a while.

Cheers

Dave

Good stuff, Dave, the mysterious Black-chinned Fruit Dove is a very awkward one to get on your Taiwan List. It is presumed 'resident', but I don't think anyone actually knows what it's real status is. I've only seen two in the last sixteen years, and heard of very few others.

If I can worm my way out of a few 'functions' I'm supposed to attend this weekend, I'll be going for that one too!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back