• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (3 Viewers)

Did anyone notice a large area of natural habitat cleared away on the Head (Port Oriel).
All fern,bracken,bramble and gorse totally gone over a large area.This was a haven for Whitethroat,Reed Bunting and other arriving migrants in Summer.Was there not a record of Icterine Warblers seen here?.Does anybody know a reason for this work?.
Hi James. My understanding is that this is a planned clearup. Apparently the OPW? decided that the area needed management, as the flora previously on the hillside was of little or no ecological benefit.
On a different note, it was also sad to see the only conifer forest in Dundalk (Clarkes Forest) being felled this week. Sparrowhawks once nested in what used to be a substantial forest. Over the years, major developments in the area, resulted in sections of the forest being lost. Then in 2007 a large storm resulted in over 100 trees blown down, probably due in part to the fact that the stronger perimiter trees were being felled.

Did anyone notice a large area of natural habitat cleared away on the Head (Port Oriel).
All fern,bracken,bramble and gorse totally gone over a large area.This was a haven for Whitethroat,Reed Bunting and other arriving migrants in Summer.Was there not a record of Icterine Warblers seen here?.Does anybody know a reason for this work?.

Hi James,

Though it looks damaging the clearing of bracken and gorse is part of a plan to re-establish heath/coastal grassland type vegetation on Clogher Head under a NPWS plan. Bracken and furze are invasive and reduce biodiverstiy. Once about half the bracken and furze is removed cattle will be introduced for low level grazing that will maintain the heath and encourage the kind of habitat that previously existed there. Near the cliffs you can see thrift, campion, various clovers, louseworth, i think also some fairly scarce lichens - the idea is to allow these species to expand. The fencing and styles are part of the same plan.

hello
i've seen a barn owl on 3 occasions recently on the ardee road out of dundalk does anyone know a likely roost nearby? i have seen it each time soon after dark. there was also a short eared owl hunting at salterstown at dusk this evening. also have seen male hen harrier quartering on the north side of the castletown estuary near the blue anchor on 2 afternoons lasst week

hello
i've seen a barn owl on 3 occasions recently on the ardee road out of dundalk does anyone know a likely roost nearby? i have seen it each time soon after dark. there was also a short eared owl hunting at salterstown at dusk this evening. also have seen male hen harrier quartering on the north side of the castletown estuary near the blue anchor on 2 afternoons lasst week

Welcome beanbagbirder!

Nice records.

I dont know where the Barn Owl is roosting. The more birders looking the merrier.
I believe the Spotted Sandpiper has been comfirmed as a worn first winter. Congratulations to all concerned. I think its a first County Louth record?
Hope you have more luck tomorrow Derek (he just miss it by a minute or two). Thanks Gerry and Breffni for the call!
A blown up picture attached. The tip of the above mentioned feather is pale but the edge is dark

County Year List

182 Spotted Sandpiper

my list

160 Spotted Sandpiper

Attachments

• spotsand.jpg
    spotsand.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 85
  • spotsand2.jpg
    spotsand2.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 86
Hope you have more luck tomorrow Derek (he just miss it by a minute or two). Thanks Gerry and Breffni for the call!
A blown up picture attached. The tip of the above mentioned feather is pale but the edge is dark
Was out the road in less than 15mins (within the speed limits of course ;)) but unfortunately I didn't hear about it till nearly everyone else had been and gone! Hopefully it will still be about tomorrow - the one in Britain has been present at same location for 3 days now. PS well done Frankie - excellent find.
Welcome to the forum beanbagbirder! When you say you've seen a barn owl on the Ardee Road out of Dundalk, how far out, as I have seen it near the M1 intersection on several occasions in 2007. This also ties in with Breffni's record at the Knockbridge turn off on the Ardee Road.

Last edited:
i,ve seen it quite close to town, between the texaco garage and the knockbridge turn, the most recent sighting was the best as i was driving out of town and the owl came from the left and landed on the hedge which was trimmed recently and it stayed there for over 5 mins. i pulled in 50 yards up the road and walked back to within 25 yards of it. it wasn't bothered by me or the cars whizzing past, in fact it took off from the hedge at a bad time and had to take evasive action to avoid being hit by one!

i,ve seen it quite close to town, between the texaco garage and the knockbridge turn, the most recent sighting was the best as i was driving out of town and the owl came from the left and landed on the hedge which was trimmed recently and it stayed there for over 5 mins. i pulled in 50 yards up the road and walked back to within 25 yards of it. it wasn't bothered by me or the cars whizzing past, in fact it took off from the hedge at a bad time and had to take evasive action to avoid being hit by one!
Thanks for the info. A few people have found this bird very elusive in 2008, so it will have a few more potential admirers if it shows over the next few evenings.
Off now to look for the spot' sand'.

Hi there beanbagbirder, what time of the day was it? Owls often follow the same patterns each night...

Spotted Sandpiper

Hi all
Spot Sand still at Giles Quay - frequenting the large puddles at the back car park and the dirt track that leads east. Only on beach when disturbed. Very difficult to see - took me 3 hrs to locate it this morning. Have to be in Newry for 2.50 so will post up photos later

Flushed it from the edge of the Marram grass after an hour searching this afternoon - no hope of a photo - bird seems to like the carpark area - maybe it'll stay for a while?

Spotted Sandpiper photos

Attachments

• IMG_2336.jpg
    IMG_2336.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2360.jpg
    IMG_2360.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 83
Belated thanks to Co. Louth birders who gave me advice last winter on Twite in Dundalk area. Finally found them at Soldiers´ Point this month....beautiful birds, congratulations on their favouring your patch!

Thanks PJR for your kind comments. Unfortunately I couldn't locate the bird under 3 hours of beautiful blue sunny skies. When I did eventually find it, the skies had turned dull and grey, making the very active and fast moving subject quite difficult to photograph.

I had a look this evening for the barn owl reported from the Ardee Road. Parked up at the large screen for some development on the right hand side heading out of town, affording good views in both directions. Stayed from 5.05pm - 6.20pm but it didn't show. I think that was around the time beanbagbirder had it - "soon after dark".

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

New on here. I'm from co. Antrim and visit Louth the odd time throughout the year, so have been keeping an eye on this thread. Was down yesterday afternoon for the spotted sandpiper, which was showing well along the beach (although hard to find amongst the stones and seaweed). Also had a look for that barn owl between 4pm and 4.30pm, but no sign. Will post any sightings of interest, if I see any, when I'm down that way again.

Neal Warnock.

Thanks, Neal, for the tip on the Spotted Sandpiper. I might try a look on Saturday (might even carry on up to Newry and do a spot of Xmas shopping...even if the government here is telling us it´s "unpatriotic"!!!:C). Has anyone seen the Forster´s Tern at Cruisetown lately?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back