• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are the sparrows owning the garden!! (1 Viewer)

DeeDeeG

Hi. Just wondering if the large amount of sparrows i have in my garden are putting other birds off. For instance, i used to get lots of goldfinches, but these days only one or two now and again, even though i am still putting all the different foods out to attract them. As much as i love watching the sparrows, im beginning to wonder if they are being bullies. Anyone else noticed anything!!

Yep, same here Dee Dee G. I used to get finches everyday (gold, green, chaff), now it's just H.Sparrows. I sometimes hear them overhead but they don't come in. My own theory (for what it's worth) is the virus these finches have been catching from feeders has become so rife, they've learnt to stay away.

My sparrows and goldfinches seem to coexist (up to 40 of the former and 12 of the latter). There's a bit of bullying, but more time-sharing. The parakeets and tits fit in as well.

Have there been any habitat changes in your area,such as woodland or scrub removal ?
Or has building extended the distance you are from woods and fields ?
Even in my small village those on the edges get mixed birds while I nearer the centre get mainly urban ones like sparrows blackbirds starlings and robins

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back