• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Unique Static Nature of Northern Mockingbirds (1 Viewer)

Jake21

I've noticed that Northern Mockingbirds tend to sit still on tall trees for very long periods of time. I dont see any other songbirds do this as much as Mockingbirds. Perhaps they are just staunch defenders of their territory/food source. Has anyone else observed this phenomenon?

What time of year are you thinking of? Time of day? I wouldn't say mockingbirds stand out much in this respect. Around here they're likely to be perched on medium-sized shrubs or brambles, or midway up a tree, in other words either partially concealed or very close to good cover. Same as you'd see with many songbirds, e.g. song sparrow.
In breeding season, cardinals, for example, are much more likely to perch way up high in the open (e.g., atop a spruce) and sing. Male Red-winged blackbirds are also champion singers and like to occupy the most visible perch available in their wetland habitat.

In the evenings, lots of birds roost high - mourning doves spring to mind - but don't sing much while doing so.

What time of year are you thinking of? Time of day? I wouldn't say mockingbirds stand out much in this respect. Around here they're likely to be perched on medium-sized shrubs or brambles, or midway up a tree, in other words either partially concealed or very close to good cover. Same as you'd see with many songbirds, e.g. song sparrow.
In breeding season, cardinals, for example, are much more likely to perch way up high in the open (e.g., atop a spruce) and sing. Male Red-winged blackbirds are also champion singers and like to occupy the most visible perch available in their wetland habitat.

In the evenings, lots of birds roost high - mourning doves spring to mind - but don't sing much while doing so.

I've usually seen Northern Mockingbirds sit still in the evening during this month. They don't sing much while perched.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back